Topic: Version control and prolonged off-line work...

I'm using SVN for most of my projects these days, currently just running a repository on my local desktop, reachable only via my local network.  As a result I can check out code to my laptop for trips, but can't check it back in periodically.  Even if I opened up a port, or moved the repository to a more accessible site, it wouldn't fix the issue as I'm normally without network access on the trips.

I also have SVN installed on the laptop with its own repository, for some of my lower priority projects that I often end up working on while traveling.

So in theory I could check out the code from the main repository, import it to the laptop repository and develop there while disconnected so I still have the safety net.  Then when I get back check-out a fresh copy, diff, patch, commit.  Of course this will fold all the changes (possible encompassing multiple "disconnected commits" into a single changeset to the main server.   I can't think of an easy way around it....  I guess I could script up something to generate a patch file on every commit to the disconnected repository and then apply each in turn (sort of migration like) with the appropriate commit message...

Does anyone else regularly face a similar issue?  How do you deal with it?

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Re: Version control and prolonged off-line work...

Pretty sure everyone deals with it by having an online repository. You can get a hosted one pretty cheap; you'll have to ask someone else for recommendations though.

Not sure how well this would work, but how about moving the whole repository back and forth?

http://dotnot.org/blog/archives/2005/01 … o-another/

Another idea is to always host the repository on your laptop and just hook it up to the network every time you need to access it. Not very convenient I imagine though...

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

evan wrote:

Pretty sure everyone deals with it by having an online repository. You can get a hosted one pretty cheap; you'll have to ask someone else for recommendations though.

I can easily put the repository on-line; but in most of my trips I don't have internet access, so that does me no good.

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

I just ran across SVK and I think it's the answer to your problem.  It's based on the SVN filesystem but allows for repository mirroring and crazy stuff like that.