Re: Recommended number of Mongrel instances

sthapit wrote:

imho, the first order of the day would be to replace apache with nginx.  i did that with my 256 slice with 4 nginx workers (4 is recommended for slicehost) and things are snappier now/i don't go over my 256MB.  i also have 3 mongrel instances, which from the forums, seems to be the sweet spot for 256MB slices.  oh, and if you're not using innodb, you can turn that off as well - my MySQL usage went down from 11% to 4%.

On my new slice I went from apache to nginx with 4 workers, and It really does save memory usage. Works great as well. I couldn't recommend it more. Also if anyone needs help setting it up just search for the slicehost article repository.

Re: Recommended number of Mongrel instances

sthapit wrote:

imho, the first order of the day would be to replace apache with nginx.  i did that with my 256 slice with 4 nginx workers (4 is recommended for slicehost) and things are snappier now/i don't go over my 256MB.  i also have 3 mongrel instances, which from the forums, seems to be the sweet spot for 256MB slices.  oh, and if you're not using innodb, you can turn that off as well - my MySQL usage went down from 11% to 4%.

Just want to thank you for this suggestion.  I had a problem with the speed of my newly launched Webapp. I was running Apache with 2 mongrels on a 256 Slicehost account and it was painfully slooow with just me testing it and no other traffic.  I was suspecting everything, Mongrels, Rails, and Mysql.

I decided to give Nginx(took me about 5 minutes to install) a try without changing anything else and wow. My site seems to be reacting just as fast as my development machine.

I'm not a Web server expert so i don't know if i did something wrong with Apache but all i know is it is much, much faster with Nginx. Thanks again.