Topic: FLV conversion using Ruby/Rails

I am building a youtubish web site that will allow users to upload video in multiple formats, then convert the media files to FLV format to be played back on the web site.

Has anyone tried this using Ruby before? The two tools I am checking out are ffmpeg and mencoder, but I'm not really sure what the pros/cons are to each tool.

Maybe there are some Ruby wrappers to those tools that could simplify the process a bit?

I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks, so I wondered what do Chinese mothers use. Toothpicks?

Re: FLV conversion using Ruby/Rails

http://inlet-media.de/flvtool2

Ruby Rockstars - Ruby Jobs for all!

Yes, flvtool2 looks like it will definitely be useful after the conversion is complete. Right now I'm leaning towards writing some Ruby scripts that use mencoder to do the initial conversion, then flvtool2 to come back and add the metadata. Should be fun!

Last edited by jed.hurt (2008-02-26 17:45:54)

I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks, so I wondered what do Chinese mothers use. Toothpicks?

where u able to include the mencoder code in the rubyscript  ?I am running the mencoder in  backgroundrb for merging flv files , can u please let me know if you were able to include the mencoder code in the rubyscript

I never implemented the FLV conversion. The project was scrapped before it got off the ground. In the meantime, Jon Dahl of Slantwise has released RVideo. There's a chance it already has a recipe to do what you need; if not, join the RVideo Google Group and I'm sure you'll find some good help.

Last edited by jed.hurt (2008-01-17 03:47:11)

Very interesting, thanks for the link.

This thread was like 2 years ago, is there any updates about this one? Thanks