Topic: find :all, :conditions => using datetime

Hi there,

I'm new at ruby on rails and can't find the correct way to work with dates and datetimes as part of the condition of a find.

I want to find all ActiveRecords between two datetimes (start_date and end_date):

bugs = Bug.find :all,
                :order => 'id DESC',
        :conditions => 'status_id = "3" AND date_fixed > ' + start_date + ' AND date_fixed <= ' + end_date + ' AND product_id = ' + params[:id]

Is there a direct way to pass dates/datetimes onto a query for comparison?
Is the way that I've written the condition above ok, is there a preferrred method to pass multiple conditions?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Fabricio.

Re: find :all, :conditions => using datetime

I found this which seems to do the job, although I thought there would be a way to do it without me having to convert the datetime value to a database datetime.

bugs = Bug.find :all, :order => 'id DESC',
    :conditions => 'status_id = "3" AND date_fixed > "' + start_date.strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S') + '" AND date_fixed <= "' + end_date.strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S') + '" AND product_id = ' + params[:id]

If anyone has a more elegant way of doing this, please let me know anyway.

Thanx,

Fabricio

Try this

bugs = Bug.find :all, :order => 'id DESC',
    :conditions => ['status_id = "3" AND date_fixed > ? AND date_fixed <= ? AND product_id = ?', start_date, end_date, params[:id]]

There's always a more elegant way with Rails wink

Unbelievable! And I thought I tried all different combinations of the '?' substitution...
It's hard being a newbie...

Your solution worked perfectly and it is so much more elegant.

Thank you thabenksta!

Fabricio.

Dont worry we are all new once smile  The good this is from my experience we have a fairly good community here, although I probably need to start answering more things than asking smile

Last edited by Catharsis (2006-11-23 07:31:48)

Hi, I am a beginner from Argentina..and these posts were useful for me.
Thanks for sharing them.