Topic: Should I learn RoR ?

Hi All
I am new to this forum, I was programming with PHP before, but I need to know that learning RoR is better or not ? Should I start learning it ? Or just continue PHP ?
Please help me...
Regards

Re: Should I learn RoR ?

Yes

Toby Hede
===================================================
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks

I use both PHP and Ruby on Rails and prefer Rails for all my development and for clients that are happy with a Rails solution. I generally charge about 20% less when compared to PHP.

Rails is an excellent framework and Ruby is an incredible language.

Toby Hede
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks

Thanks for your reply, i heard RoR is easier than other web programming languages, is this right ? How much time do i need to get familiar with this language ?
thnx again

marSoul wrote:

Thanks for your reply, i heard RoR is easier than other web programming languages, is this right ? How much time do i need to get familiar with this language ?
thnx again

I wouldn't say that it's really easy to learn. However, once you do learn it there are huge productivity improvements.

I'd recommend learning some ruby first before diving in to rails.

marSoul wrote:

thnx again

Keep in mind Ruby on Rails isn't a programming language,  it's a web framework written in Ruby (programming language). 

I agree with learc83.  It's not super easy to learn.  It may in fact be more difficult to get started with Rails if you don't have any experience with web frameworks as it's quite a bit different than just uploading a php file to the server.  Once you are familiar with Ruby/Rails and all of the conventions, you WILL get A LOT of productivity improvements, though. 

I have worked with many languages and frameworks and landed on Rails.  It has actually been enjoyable and made web programming fun again!

Thanks again, how should i start learning ? should i start with ruby or ruby on rails ?

marSoul wrote:

Thanks again, how should i start learning ? should i start with ruby or ruby on rails ?

It really depends on how soon your going to start using it. But if you have time I'd start with ruby.

In my opinion the best book for learning ruby is http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ruby-No … 1590597664

The pragmatic programmers site has a decent book fot getting started with Rails. I've moved to Rails and I can't imagine programming anywhere else now, it's fantastic.

ericc59 wrote:

Keep in mind Ruby on Rails isn't a programming language,  it's a web framework written in Ruby (programming language). 
!

Keep in mind that Rails is simply a Ruby script, so in an Rails app you can use Ruby classes/methods and on top of that you use Rails added classes and methods.

Rails is not better than PHP, it is different. Personally I prefer Rails, other prefer PHP.

Note that 99,9% of the forum apps on the internet are written in PHP, and how many are written in Rails? That should give you a good hint about what is the best app for your needs. Rails can't do everything, but what it does, it does it well.

I would recommend Merb over Rails...

Rails can be painfully slow. merb is an intelligent choice over rails today.

A very good post, must-read for developers who want to go higher and be better

http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/01/road-to-merb

spiritedtechnology wrote:

Rails can be painfully slow when you don't know how to use it.

I corrected your sentence.

If you haven't had any experience with frameworks i would really advise trying out some frameworks in php like Codeigniter, Zend, Cakephp etc. then moving to rails.

I think codeigniter is especially easy for beginner and is pretty simple, its what i use when i develope php apps.

If you already have experiance using a framework then you can just jump right in with rails as the principals are the same.

Learning rails was one of the best decisions i made for my 'web developing career' if you can call it that.. There are alot of things im confident to do in rails that i am not in the equivilent php framework. I think it is fair to say rails is easier but it certainly isnt a kiddie framework, it is very powerful.

Sorry !
But can you suggest me a good way for starting rails ?
Now i am using lynda rails essential training and agile rails book
do you have a better way ?
many thnx

I just started using RoR...  Some of it was easy.  Some of it was very painful to learn coming from a PHP background.   There is a lot to learn all at once.  Some things RoR does for you.  While other things you'd expect would be there are not there.   For example, the good old "phpinfo();" to see what your servers is running isn't there.  Overall you will find yourself writing less code.   

Hints:
- start with Rails 2.x+
- Make sure your tutorials, examples, training, books, etc take into account for 2.x+ 
- Learn activerecord by using the script/console
- Set aside alot of time for "Deployment" using capistrano...
- Think OOP

I would definitely learn RoR.  I was working with PHP and have developed some pretty sophisticated web applications.  I just started learning RoR last week and I don't know why I never gave RoR a shot earlier... I simply love it!  The syntax of Ruby takes a bit to get used to... but really, if you know one programming language it's not tough to pick up another.

I would really recommend this book: (It covers Rails 2)
http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Rails-2-Pa … 0980455200

I just finished the book today.  Good luck!

-JP

For people coming from PHP there is a book from the pragmatic programmers that is aimed at you, Rails for PHP developers, I don't know how good it is but there other stuff is good so maybe check that out.

Sorry but i am confused, i was reading agile web development with rails, second edition, but i see that some commands are not working when i test them !
So i cant find a good source for learning it! please help me

Personally I worked for a while with PHP, then I came across CakePHP which is almost a direct port of Rails to PHP. Once I realised how much could be done with little code using the right framework, I looked to find Ruby on Rails which of course is the big brother of CakePHP.

Having played with CakePHP for a couple of months I found it fairly easy to learn Ruby and Rails, as they share the same philosophies and ideals.

I don't know if I'd recommend learning CakePHP first, but it's certainly helpful if you're coming from a good PHP base.