Topic: Developing in RoR on Ubuntu 8.04

okay folks, I've recently started using Ubuntu at home as my development plaftorm and I was just wondering what tools (i.e. TextMate on the Mac) people use for developing in RoR.

Thanks
Yorkie-T

Re: Developing in RoR on Ubuntu 8.04

You really should pick Vim and Git ;-)

Btw, Linux FTW big_smile

I use vim and svn, because I haven't really found an IDE for ubuntu that I like.
At work I use textmate and svn.

thanks guys the reason I ask is because at work I have gottne used to using TextMate but at home I dont have a Mac so have installed Ubunut on my pc as i ahve used this distro a few times and was just wondering if there was anything in the same vein as TextMate for it, I will give vim a try though smile thanks for your help guys smile

Netbeans 6 kicks ass.

Also on Ubuntu be aware that the way Ubuntu manages gems (using apt/synaptic) is different from gem install. Always use one or the other and you'll be fine, but don't mix them.

cheers mate much appreciated

okay cant figure out how to open existing projects in Netbeans have tried open project as you would think it would be but instead it will not let me load my rails project.

also I cannot seem to get Vim to work it opens the files but will not let me edit them hmm

We don't think like you (trust me I'm an American working with an Englishman and a Scot) so you're going to need to be a little more specific about what you tried that didn't work.

I prefer vim over anything else myself. If you are really into textmate though there has been a lot of people work on extending gedit to act like textmate. Might be worth a look.

http://grigio.org/textmate_gedit_few_steps

Lots of blogs out there explaining essentially the same thing. Quick google search will turn up a few to look at if that does not help you enough.

I say vim with a few plugins though works great. I use rails.vim from tpope, nerdcommenter, nerdbrowser, supertab, and snippetsEMU. Can find them all on vim.sf.net With those it pretty much acts as textmate would anyways. If you have trouble finding any of them just yell.

I'm also using Hardy (Ubuntu 8.04) and Netbeans. I'm using svn on older projects, but checking out Mercurial for a bunch of reasons. And Netbeans has Mercurial integrated, so you get history and nicely colorized diffs in the IDE (svn also). I'm quite happy with it all.

To import and existing project, Choose File, New Project, Ruby on Rails with existing source. Fill in the blanks and you're running.

Before Netbeans, I used vim, then jedit. I tried a few other full-featured IDEs, but the learning curve was too steep. Netbeans took me a couple hours to figure out, and though I still learn new tricks every so often, I'm more productive with it than I was with vim.

I'm on Ubuntu 7.10 and i use vim and git.

i have 6 tabs open in my terminal:

1: WEBrick - i use this to run ./scriipt/server
2: Main - i don't cd to any other folder in this tab so that i can run things like script/generate and otehr commands that need to be executed from the root.
3: Janitor - this is where i use vim, i cd around to a directory, if i need to, and vim any files 4: Logs - i run 'tail -f' on the logs in this terminal
5: Console - ./script/console is run here
6: MySQL - i run MySQL CLI here

jbartels wrote:

Netbeans 6 kicks ass.

Also on Ubuntu be aware that the way Ubuntu manages gems (using apt/synaptic) is different from gem install. Always use one or the other and you'll be fine, but don't mix them.

how do you mean use one or the other?
do you mean to say that if i use gem to install a gem, i shouldn't use apt to install an ubuntu app or even upgrade ubuntu apps?

rebelx wrote:

do you mean to say that if i use gem to install a gem, i shouldn't use apt to install an ubuntu app or even upgrade ubuntu apps?

He means that if you use gem to install a gem (say rails for instance), don't try and update that gem using apt. Either manage all your gems with ruby gems or manage them with the package manager, don't go back and forth.

ddemchuk wrote:
rebelx wrote:

He means that if you use gem to install a gem (say rails for instance), don't try and update that gem using apt. Either manage all your gems with ruby gems or manage them with the package manager, don't go back and forth.

of course. silly of me to think otherwise smile

thanks for clearing that out.

Gedit with ruby highlighting and the file browser plugin enabled works great. Gedit is "Text Editor" in the Accessories menu of Ubuntu. The embedded terminal plugin is very helpful too. If you want gedit to act like textmate it is possible. Look at http://grigio.org/textmate_gedit_few_steps

Last edited by vvlist (2008-05-24 01:53:55)

I like Aptana Studio IDE...

dkmenace wrote:

I like Aptana Studio IDE...

Ive been using Aptana as well.  It works great for me but for some reason it didn't find my previous ruby install and proceeded to DL and install another version of ruby in the place it decided it would be best.  So I'm pretty sure I have 2 ruby installs in 2 different places on my computer.  It doesn't bother me because I just use my comp for simple development but for others it might cause problems.  Suggestion: Let Aptana handle all of the installations so there are no problems in the future.

I've just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my comp and am loving it. I get to have all the speed and app support of a mac without the ridiculous price tag and apple-marketing!

Also gedit with a couple of plugins is a a very good editor for rails.

i usually don't like adding plugins to my vim except for the bare essentials but vim-rails is very impressive. i think i'd prefer it more than textmate (although i've only seen textmate being used in screencasts).

try vim with vim-rails out, it's in the Ubuntu repository.
vim has a steep learning curve but once you know how to use vim, you really can't imagine not using it. it does things so much quicker than any other IDE i've used and it's so flexible.

I use Geany when I am developing on my Ubuntu machine.

http://geany.uvena.de/

It does a lot more than gEdit without all of the up-front configuration.  Some features I enjoy:

* Ruby syntax highlighting
* Code folding
* Object browser
* File browser
* Code snippets (though very primitive compared to TextMate)
* Plugins
* Find in files
* Git / Svn commits
* Right click on a method call and jump directly to the definition.  (By default, it will only work if the definition is in an open file.  But, if you install the "Geany Project" plugin, it will jump you to any file in the project with that definition.)

It is still not TextMate, but I think it is the closest option available on Ubuntu in that it is very powerful and VERY lightweight.  (NetBeans and RadRails are powerful but memory hogs.)

Here is a pretty good review on Softpedia from a couple of months ago.

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/linux/ … 4142.shtml

when copy/paste some code from html page to vi , sometimes indents looks bad. vim+rails.vim has some plugin to format it? (just like Eclipse Ctrl+shift+F :-)  i am a java guy.