Topic: How to allow users download the search results

Hi,

I have an application which has 2 parts. One is Application maintainance where only certain users can CRUD the application data. The other part is where all the users can search for the application related data. I want to provide the users the ability to download teh search results say in CSV format. How would I do that on rails?

thanks

Re: How to allow users download the search results

Why not just create a view which doesn't use a layout (or a blank layout) and in the view itself do something like this:

# In your controller

# This will be our header line
  @columns = []
  Model.columns.each do |c|
    @columns << c.name
  end

# Get the requested data
@results = Model.find :all # Add conditions to taste

# In your view
  <%= @columns.join(",") %>
  <% @results.each do |res| -%>
    # This bit makes sure the result columns follow the same order as the one in @columns
    <% bufferline = []
       @columns.each do |c|
       bufferline << res.send(c)
       end -%>
    <%= bufferline.join(",") %>
<% end -%>

There has to be a more efficient way of doing this but that's off the top of my head tongue

Hi Marsvin,

This would just render the view on browser but I want the user to have the opportunity to enter the filename and store the results onto their computer into a file which they can export into excel or access.

Any ideas how taht can be done?

Paging Ryanb ... Would you have any ideas on the above?

If the problem is getting the results to download as a file instead of rendering in the browser, then that is certainly a problem. This is client side, so I don't know if you have control over it.

You can simply provide a link and instruct the users to right-click it and save the file to their local. That's what I have done in the past. If there's a better way than I would certainly like to know.

As for getting the results in CSV format, try this:

<%= Item.column_names.join(', ') %>
<%= @items.collect { |i| i.attributes.values.join(', ') }.join("\n") %>

Not sure if the order of the columns and such will be correct though.

Last edited by ryanb (2006-11-29 15:41:41)

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Ryan would it be possible to tell rails to send a header that says something like Content-Type: application/octet-stream even though the actual content is text? That might force the browser to download rather than open.

Good idea. I haven't tested it, but this might work:

# in controller
headers['Content-Type'] = 'application/octet-stream'

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I tried the header but it still does not ask me for download. It is still rendered on the browser.

I might try something else and will keep you posted if I succeed. Meanwhile if someone reads this post and has an answer please post it.
Thanks

headers['Content-disposition'] = 'attachment;filename=list.csv'

This header should force the download. Change the filename unless you want it to be called 'list.csv' smile

vinnie - rails forum admin

That did it.... Though the format is not coming out as I want.... With columns of table as headers of a csv file followed by the contents of the column in a file foramt....
I will investigate further.... but for now I know that there is a way the contents can be downloaded.