Topic: Updating Controller on Remote Host

Hi,
Do you guys sometimes get unexpected results after updating your controllers on your remote host? I am with DreamHost and I'm quite happy with them, however, whenever I update my controller files or config data it takes hours for the changes to take effect. I wonder if there's any way to overcome this problem...

Re: Updating Controller on Remote Host

You run your application in production mode, where you cant see code changes immediately like in dev. mode. You have to restart your rails app.
Probably your app are restarted by cron every few hours.

I think the script/process/reaper script will restart the server.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

from the dreamhost wiki:

Rails apps in production mode do not reflect changes made after they start running. So, if you found a bug, fixed it and nothing appeared to happen--this is probably because you haven't restarted your fcgi processes. Run killall -9 ruby a couple of times. It might also take a couple of browser refreshes for the change to take affect.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Rai … e_Gotchas:

You are right, thanks a lot! I just relocated to DreamHost three days ago and can safely say that fastCGI has brought my Rails apps up to speed. At my old webhost (without fastCGI) both sites used to run much slower.