Re: The "best" Rails IDE for Windows

Searching for a "good" Ruby IDE on Windows is a nonsense.

#41 johnson -

It may be a nonsense But I found one :-)

I have am also involved in the BETA test for the Aptana Cloud which will soon support Rails which is TOTALLY AWESOME!

It's not just a windows IDE either it's a stand alone JAVA app (Used to be an eclipse plug in).

Johnson - What Windows editor would you suggest then?

Last edited by jamesw (2008-06-08 10:24:52)

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

Well under Windows I was using Rored, then moved to e-Texteditor. Now I am on Mac, TextMate beats any editor, and Ruby is much faster on Mac / Linux.

Wish I could afford a Mac lol!

Loading Aptana can take a while but once it is up I must say that I only have the very occasional performance issue but your point about rails running faster on a Mac is a little disturbing.

Are you saying that a hosted site developed in rails will perform at a noticeably improved rate when accessd by a Mac or is this just a development environment issue?

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

Actually my Mac is an old iBook from 2004, once it is pumped up with Ram and a 22" external display, it does an incredible job.

Hi there,

Just read through this article with interest.  I have downloaded Aptana and it looks great smile  The only problem am I having at the moment is that I can't install the restful authentication plugin.  Other plugins install fine, but not this one sad  Very new to RoR's so perhaps I am doing something wrong.  I have gone through the screencast and done all the install steps.  Looks really great, but without the ability to install the restful authentication plugin I can't move my project over to my laptop sad  So, for now I am stuck with Linux and vi, which is ok, but not the best, obviously.

When I try and install restful authentication here is what happens:

script/plugin install git://github.com/technoweenie/restful-authentication.git
removing: C:/Users/dwilliams/Documents/Aptana Studio/PPC/vendor/plugins/restful-authentication/.git

That's all that happens.  sad

Can other people install this plugin ?  I have posted on the Aptana forum but so far not much help there.  If I can get this plugin installed I can move over to Aptana, which would be great smile

DaveInFL wrote:

When I try and install restful authentication here is what happens:

script/plugin install git://github.com/technoweenie/restful-authentication.git
removing: C:/Users/dwilliams/Documents/Aptana Studio/PPC/vendor/plugins/restful-authentication/.git

That's all that happens.  sad

Can other people install this plugin ?  I have posted on the Aptana forum but so far not much help there.  If I can get this plugin installed I can move over to Aptana, which would be great smile

Not an aptana problem. I use Eclipse now with the plugin (was on windows, now happily over to linux) and have installed under both successfully.

tildenm, you are using the RadRails plugin for Eclipse ?  If that's working for you then perhaps I will give that a try then.

DaveInFL wrote:

tildenm, you are using the RadRails plugin for Eclipse ?  If that's working for you then perhaps I will give that a try then.

Actually it was Aptana Studio on Windows.

DaveInFL wrote:

Just tried again and it worked fine. It does say "removing: C:/dev/workspace/Test/vendor/plugins/restful-authentication/.git", but continues to install and gives the whole  test file. Do you have Msysgit installed (http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list) with the "Run Git from Windows command Prompt" option?

Would the Msysgit be visible under the Ruby Gems tab ?  I can't see Msysgit under there, so perhaps I don't have it installed.

Installed Msysgit and that didn't make any difference at all with Aptana.  At a complete loss now to be honest.

I also installed Eclipse (Ganymede) and installed the Aptana plugin, but that doesn't work at all.  I get an error when I try and open up the Aptana perspective of:

Problems opening perspective 'com.aptana.ide.js.ui.WebPerspective'

Not wishing to stray too far off topic, or to spark a religious war, but...

I've been a PC user since the days of MS-DOS! Lately I've been developing Rails apps on a PC using Aptana. But watching Ryan Bates' Railcasts piqued my interest in TextMate, so I downloaded the Peepcode tutorial, and then purchased TextMate for a cheap old iBook that I bought for $250 to test browser compatibility.

After just a couple of days, I'm a convert. You see, Rails programming is about PRODUCTIVITY, FUN, and BEAUTY, and TextMate enhances all three in a really, really, big way. It's also WAY faster than Aptana, adding further to the productivity and fun aspects. Heck, it's so fast and efficient, you could probably make an economic argument that it would pay for itself on the next project!

I feel compelled to add to this thread the suggestion to watch the Railscasts and the Peepcode Textmate tutorial to see this tool in action, and then ask yourself the question: "Do I really want to stick with Windows when such a tool is available for the Mac?"

I also note that Obie Fernandez in "The Rails Way" mentions that "...to my knowledge most working Rails professionals develop and deploy on non-Microsoft platforms." You gotta ask yourself why that is so, and how it could be that the Mac evolved to dominate this development community, against all odds... it's because of TextMate!

Last edited by lazylester (2008-08-15 20:34:51)

Netbeans Ruby ftw!
Once you start using it, you'll wonder how why you didn't start sooner.
http://download.netbeans.org/netbeans/6.5/beta/

Be sure to install the Aloha theme, that will make it look just like textmate (see the railcasts.com screencasts to see what I'm talking about)
http://blog.huikau.com/2008/04/28/aloha … tbeans-61/

PS: I will say it does eat up about 100megs of memory just to load the java runtime, but it stays pretty constant at that and doesn't bloat upwards over time.

Austin Web Developer
Web Application Development with Ruby on Rails, PHP (w CakePHP or CodeIgniter), ASP.NET (w MVC)

I use aptana, I like that it does indentation automatically, and the fact you can format the source code easily fixing any indentation on pasted-in code... I don't know how people work with the 'lite' editors, you must do a lot of tabbing or have messy source. Netbeans was good too also does indentation, but I like that Aptana allows me to browse my file system and not just project files.

Last edited by dasnk (2008-09-07 08:18:53)

It looks like intype is free during its alpha development phase. I will check it out for my win machine.

I don't know about "Best", but I have recently started using the Ruby In Steel Developers edition and find it to be an excellent choice. It isn't because I am an experienced Visual Studio developer, but the laptop I travel with is a relatively locked down enterprise laptop, so I couldn't install any virtual machines and run the Ubuntu image I run at home.

I also use RubyMine on my home system - and I find each IDE equally easy to use.

There are some niggles - possibly solved if I were to read documentation - but I can't get Require to work in the Ruby in Steel implementation. That will be the subject of another post though.

We are using NetBeans 6.5 for our rails projects, including www.ScrumPad.com. We tried the RadRails before this and NetBeans is really the better one.
If you haven't tried NetBeans yet, I suggest you give it a try and I am pretty sure you will find this is the best IDE for rails so far for windows!

Thank to everyone, after reading, i select NetBeans. Hope that will be good enough.

I went back and forth between Netbeans and Emacs. The "niceties" of Netbeans either really helped, or really got in the way. Emacs was simple and beautiful, but lacked some of the nice features that Netbeans provided.

I'm pretty convinced after 3 months of using it, that the best solution for Rails in Windows is to get a Mac.