Re: Tutorial Requests

Tutorial on having checkboxes for acts_as_tree items?

I'm working on a project that involves the user to be able to view, create, edit, and delete directories.
So, the model of directory includes "acts_as_tree".
And I've done the code for listing them directories, with bullets n indentation n stuff.
Now, I want each directory to have a checkbox against its name.
Essentially, the user should be able to select multiple directories (with the check boxes), and when he clicks on the delete button, all the selected directories should be deleted.
Initially, I had done such that each directory has a delete link next to it, which will delete the directory.
But now, I want jsut one delete button to do it all for the selected directories.
Some one pelase help me with this.
I am very very new to ruby on rails.

Thanks...

A simple, concise Rails 2.0 tutorial which demonstrates how to handle (Create Read Update Delete) multiple models (more than two) in a single form with a diverse range of field types (checkbox, radio button, drop down list, etc.).  Thanks in advance.  I'm getting excited already just thinking about it.  I know that some of the subscribers to this forum have done something similar in the past with two models in one form, so I know I'm in the right place to make this request.  Walter.

I would love to see a tutorial on how to make a "Suggestion Box" with ActionMailer. So a visitor on the site could basically send an email to a hard coded email address like suggestions@example.com. There would be two forms, one for the message and one for a return address or url as verification. I would also like to use a captcha, but don't worry about that. Note: I've read tutorials on ActionMailer, but all required registering users on the system and I want to avoid that complication for this task. I'm using Rails 2.0.x. Thank you very much in advance.

wmlockhart wrote:

A simple, concise Rails 2.0 tutorial which demonstrates how to handle (Create Read Update Delete) multiple models (more than two) in a single form with a diverse range of field types (checkbox, radio button, drop down list, etc.).  Thanks in advance.  I'm getting excited already just thinking about it.  I know that some of the subscribers to this forum have done something similar in the past with two models in one form, so I know I'm in the right place to make this request.  Walter.

Walter,

This project might interest you: http://jamesgolick.com/2008/7/28/introd … ready-know

The project is a little limited at the moment but has a lot of promise.

Aside from that I would suggest the chapter from Advanced Rails Recipes (http://pragprog.com/titles/fr_arr/advan … ls-recipes) by Ryan Bates on this topic.  This has been extracted into a free PDF available on the Pragmatic Programmer's site: http://media.pragprog.com/titles/fr_arr … e_form.pdf

Take care.

MDWeezer,

thank you some much for this direction.  I will take a look today.

Regards

wmlockhart

Is there any tutorial guide for SQL DBA.If there is any can anyone provide websites link for us.

quickTutes - computer tutorials, internet tutorials, tutorials, video tutorials

I'd love to see a tutorial on how RoR works on the inside.

Most Ruby on Rails books and tutorials, or at least all the ones I have read, start with a simple application with modest requirements and show how to create and migrate the database and how to generate a scaffold based UI.

This is all well and good, but when I try to move beyond scaffold to the web application UI that I want, I quickly find myself mired in a swamp up to my eye-balls.

Or, to mangle another metaphor, working though the examples and tutorials is like watching a magic show, but I need to figure out how the tricks work.

What I am trying to create (as a learning exercise and not a paying gig, thank God!) is yet again another ToDo list application with some very non-scaffold like elements including:
1. A two columns welcome screen with login on the left and register in the right. Successful completion of either of these leads to ...
2. A three column working screen with the user's ToDo items organized as a tree on the left, a list of the ToDo items under the selected element in the center, and an always open form on the right that can be used to add or edit ToDo items at any time. I will eventually use JavaScript to set the initial focus on the first field in this form.
3. In general, all lists will be of incomplete items in inverse order by priority where priority is not a field in the database but rather computed from other fields in the record.
4. Complete page refreshes for now, but eventually AJAXed.

So far, I keep bumping up against redirects that don't redirect or redirects that do work, but display the layout for where I came from instead of where I went to.

Clearly, there's stuff going on that I didn't fully internalize by working through the examples. I come from Java/Swing background where I wrote all the glue code that bound all the various API calls together and I bring zero experience to this kind of framework, where the man behind the curtain reaches out and runs little snippets of code I write, code I didn't have to write, or code that gets generated based on hints that I configure into the code (has_many, acts_like_tree, etc.).

This is like the exact opposite of what I've done in the past and, to mangle a final metaphor, I'm finding it heavy sledding.

What I would love to find is a walk-though of a RoR application describing how, why, and when the flow of control is transferred between Controllers (including helpers), Models, and Views (including Layouts and Partials). I would also love to know how render and redirect calls effect (and don't effect this process) and how stuff gets into and goes out of scope.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find a document of this nature?

Vern McGeorge wrote:

I'd love to see a tutorial on how RoR works on the inside.

Most Ruby on Rails books and tutorials, or at least all the ones I have read, start with a simple application with modest requirements and show how to create and migrate the database and how to generate a scaffold based UI.

This is all well and good, but when I try to move beyond scaffold to the web application UI that I want, I quickly find myself mired in a swamp up to my eye-balls.

Or, to mangle another metaphor, working though the examples and tutorials is like watching a magic show, but I need to figure out how the tricks work.

What I am trying to create (as a learning exercise and not a paying gig, thank God!) is yet again another ToDo list application with some very non-scaffold like elements including:
1. A two columns welcome screen with login on the left and register in the right. Successful completion of either of these leads to ...
2. A three column working screen with the user's ToDo items organized as a tree on the left, a list of the ToDo items under the selected element in the center, and an always open form on the right that can be used to add or edit ToDo items at any time. I will eventually use JavaScript to set the initial focus on the first field in this form.
3. In general, all lists will be of incomplete items in inverse order by priority where priority is not a field in the database but rather computed from other fields in the record.
4. Complete page refreshes for now, but eventually AJAXed.

So far, I keep bumping up against redirects that don't redirect or redirects that do work, but display the layout for where I came from instead of where I went to.

Clearly, there's stuff going on that I didn't fully internalize by working through the examples. I come from Java/Swing background where I wrote all the glue code that bound all the various API calls together and I bring zero experience to this kind of framework, where the man behind the curtain reaches out and runs little snippets of code I write, code I didn't have to write, or code that gets generated based on hints that I configure into the code (has_many, acts_like_tree, etc.).

This is like the exact opposite of what I've done in the past and, to mangle a final metaphor, I'm finding it heavy sledding.

What I would love to find is a walk-though of a RoR application describing how, why, and when the flow of control is transferred between Controllers (including helpers), Models, and Views (including Layouts and Partials). I would also love to know how render and redirect calls effect (and don't effect this process) and how stuff gets into and goes out of scope.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find a document of this nature?

Vern, have you tried Peepcode screencasts? IIRC there's one on Rails 2 & REST follows the development of a TODO list app. Spend $40 or so on a subscription - it's worth it. Just a few quick points, though;

Cool think thats a good idea btw ... these forums should tell you all you need to know great way to get a feel for what peeps think .

I think too often some (not all) tutorials are focused on a quick fix of some kind. Roob newbs in general are looking for these kinds of fixes. But there are also a lot of us who have a desire to know how rails, and Ruby for that matter work below the surface. I think if we cultivate an interest more in theory and understanding through tutorials with a larger scope, we'll end up with better developers, and in the end a better framework. So that's what I'd like to see.

I s there any way to get notifications to rails application when when a tweet or update is posted in the twitter profile page for the authenticated user.
Thanks in advance

I would like a tutorial about STI with examples or maybe an application with live examples about inheritance on Ruby On Rails. I think this topic is very confused today.

It'll be really helpful if there are more Rails application tutorials on turning 'old school' client-server applications to web-based ones.

For example:

1 Typical Invoice master detail (invoices and items on an invoice) maintenance

Most Rails tutorial stopped after building the "comments" and "blog" has_many model. It will be helpful to see how Rails views can handle a header section plus a table (grid) of invoice items, and the items can be CRUD on the same invoice header view.

2 "Add item..." in a combo box

The typical example is "Add a label" in Gmail

3 QBE (Query by example)

To allow users to add/select columns from a model, to build a form/view. After that, a "Search" button to list the result in a paginated view. Select one to go to the edit view.

4 Multi-column form editing (Grid System) integration with Rails views

How to position a lot of (like those hotel reservation form) fields orderly in a view? For example, two columns one page, align "Description" and "field content" in each column nicely. How can we do that nicely with a Form submit. Even better, it's a has_many form (the invoice example).

Thank you!

I'll also use the chance to thank very much for railsforum and railscasts. These two are among the best resources and I learn a lot from, other than the popular Rails books.

Hope that more great tutorials can bring the beauty of Rails to traditional SME application development environment!

horace

Josh wrote:

Please post all requests for future tutorials in this thread, rather than creating new threads. smile  Writers can reply here to indicate if they intend to create a tutorial to fill a specific request.

Hey can show a very simple demo from registering a user to logging in then logging out..

I think when I can do that myself, I can now develop a much bigger sites on my own...

tnx ehhehe smile

Anyone know where I can download a video tutorial on ROR... It's my 1st tym using ROR.. I've been
lately using PHP.. Unfortunately I don't have internet access at home so what i really need is to download a video tutorial..

Can anyone help...

aguroyz wrote:

Anyone know where I can download a video tutorial on ROR... It's my 1st tym using ROR.. I've been
lately using PHP.. Unfortunately I don't have internet access at home so what i really need is to download a video tutorial..

Can anyone help...

Start with the famous Creating a weblog in 15 minutes

http://rubyonrails.org/screencasts

then a lot more on: http://railscasts.com/episodes/archive

If you are serious about learning Ruby on Rails, I highly recommend you take a look at the Pragmatic Bookshelf. They have a lots of books and screencasts series (Everyday ActiveRecord and Mastering Rails Form). Peepcode has screencasts as well which I think are really good.

Hope that helps smile

Last edited by Leppy (2009-01-02 14:23:01)

Josh wrote:

Please post all requests for future tutorials in this thread, rather than creating new threads. smile  Writers can reply here to indicate if they intend to create a tutorial to fill a specific request.

Frankly, I'm stumped on date / time conversion and manipulation in RoR. I finally tricked an access database to giving me a time I could migrate to mysql (by giving it a fake date), and a date I could migrate (with a fake time). Now all I need to do is take the time from the one, the date from the other, save them together. And I'll have a timestamp or two I need.

I have searched and searched, it's silly - it shouldn't be this hard to find information about such ordinary daily time / date manipulations. I know.. it's out there in the API.

I'd love to get my hands on a good tutorial about this stuff. It comes up all the time.

Hi Group,

I am trying to develop a Ruby on Rails Mashup which includes images
and video.

I would like to see a Ruby on Rails tutorial on:

(1) Uploading an Image to Flickr or Google Picasa; and

(2) Uploading a Video to YouTube or Google Video.

Thanks.

Regards

Walter

I'm brand brand new to all this stuff. I was a hardware guy and in that time I learned HTML and a little css. (I'm not a programmer or developer by any means). I am however wicked interested in it and am looking for some new ways to pull in some cash.

Anyway, I need some super basic tutorials and help. Assume I know nothing...nothing. I think I have everything installed correctly. I'm at the point where I don't know what questions to even ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.