Re: Introduce yourself!

Name: Matt Holland
What brought you to Rails Forum? Someone tagged one of your tutorials to My-Tuts.com, while approving it i looked around the site and decided to join as I'm learning RoR
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? To start with personal things like portfolios and blogs, but i intend to make my own web applications which i may choose to market or not smile.

Other stuff: I currently know CSS and XHTML, limited PHP, wordpress skinning, and I have ordered Agile web development with Rails today of amazon, see you guys round wink

Matt
| My blog smile |

Welcome aboard, Matt. smile We were actually just talking about adding more tutorials, so you might see some more from us in the future. smile

I like the idea of My-Tuts--it's sort of like a niche del.icio.us for tutorials. smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Sounds good, possibly you could add a 'tag to my-tuts' link at the bottom of your tutorials so users could easily submit it to our databases. Or alternately you could add an rss feed for tutorials and submit that to us. This would save time as all items in the feed are submitted automatically to us.

See you round
Matt

Matt
| My blog smile |

Name: Jonathan Kemp
What brought you to Rails Forum? looking for a rails forum on google
Background:  building web sites since 1997, doing seo since 2000, been programming in PHP, the company I work for uses Python
How do you use Ruby/Rails?   The web development company I work for has taken an interest and direction in Rails.

I started learning Rails on my own a few weeks ago. I am seriously impressed with the framework and what it can do. I think the hardest thing for me right now is learning Ruby. I have been reading a lot of tutorials along with the 'Agile' book and I am learning a lot. I am here to hopefully learn more and maybe contribute something myself. Thanks.

Jonathan

Last edited by jonK (2006-08-12 10:29:25)

Name: Dieter Komendera
Occupation: Web Developer/Server Admin for a webdevelopment company: http://www.sparklingstudios.com/indexEnglish.html
What brought you to Rails Forum? Read somewhere in a blog about it
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? For personal projects and all webdev in our company.

My homepage: http://www.komendera.com/
Working at: http://www.abloom.at/
My blog: soaked and soaped http://soakedandsoaped.com/

Name: Gabe da Silveira
What brought you to Rails Forum? Googled for "restarting rails app dreamhost" because my capistrano deploy recipe isn't restarting my apps correctly.
Background:  Been into hypermedia since I was 10 years old using HyperCard on Mac System 6.  Got access to my first Internet shell in '92 and was hooked on the web when I first saw Mosaic on my friends PPP connection late '93.  In the early days I was a big fan of DocOzone, but shifted heavily into CSS, standards, and PHP programming in 2001.  After honing my PHP skills for 4 years I found myself liking the language less and less, and looking for alternative.  I had looked at Ruby, but it wasn't really viable for web development until Rails hit the scene.  I jumped on board early 2005 and haven't looked back.

How do you use Ruby/Rails?   My first project was my blog which is written from scratch in RoR.  I've got 2 or 3 client sites ready to deploy soon.  And finally, my current job where I wrangle a lot of PHP code using an proprietary in-house framework is looking at redoing our main subscription-based app in RoR using Liquid templates.  It's kind of like a startup, which is something else I hope to be involved in in the next few years.

Name: Jeff Ritchie
Location: Sydney, Australia (a KIA for the other kiwi on the site).
What brought you to Rails Forum? Surprisingly was over at sitepoint trying to thank someone for posting a link to our site, then got diverted by someone's sig smile Must join sitepoint in due course.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Starting this week. Our organisation in conjunction with a Sydney company have a few ideas for a turn key solution to a hobby style of site. We're in the PHP world and they are in the M$ world ... worlds collide huh. Both companies did a search for some sort of database technology, and RoR seems to fit the bill.

Only problem l have at the moment is skins/styles/themes, can you do that with RoR applications? Time will tell.

So yeap another one of those horrid php people having seen the light on the road to the pub or something. Will try converting my Invision review app up front and see what folks think.

Interests: Coding, books, movies, box office figures, Rugby .... C'mon the Bay!!!!!!!!

www.movieheretic.com - Reviews, Box Office, Chat from downunder. Now with added RoR goodness, beginner stuff.

www.skinbydragonfly.com - Invision skins, graphics, i-Tab revolution.

Name: Zach Holman
Occupation: Student. I do some web projects on the side from time to time.
What brought you to Rails Forum? I figured Josh and Vinnie could use the added stress.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Well, I don't, technically. But that'll be changing shortly. Right now I'm using Java, but I've been studying Ruby and Rails for the past few weeks and have finally gotten some time to do some coding in the last few days and I'm really liking what I'm seeing thus far. Will be coding a new project in Rails hopefully soon, and probably will be porting my old stuff to Rails later on as well.

Good-Tutorials. Now with tutorials for Ruby and for Rails.

oh no http://vinniegarcia.com/misc/emot-psyduck.gif

vinnie - rails forum admin

Did we forget to install those anti-lo0ol filters?! Crap.

Welcome aboard, Zach. smile

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Name: Brandon
What brought you to Rails Forum? Lack of solid documentation elsewhere.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I use RoR on my sweet development/deployment setup. I have a Ubuntu LAMP system that I access via secure shell. I use the MySQL Admin from my windows machine to work with my databases, and I also work with my files remotely, through samba.  I can work with my server and it feels practically transparent from my everyday desktop. I get to use Windows while still maintaining the security and integrity of Linux. I look forward to learning more about rails and deploying some interesting projects.

Name: Loc Nguyen
What brought you to Rails Forum? Just another n00b looking for help
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I'm a J2EE guy during the day and spend some time to learn Ruby (and Rails) every night. I'm working on a small project that manages invitations (much like evite) with a Postgres backend to help me apply what I'm learning. In a few months, I begin designing and portal site for SoCal professionals so hopefully I will know enough about RoR to use it instead of Java =]

Last edited by JackBauer (2006-08-31 03:20:49)

Name: Will Duncan
What brought you to Rails Forum? Kelli told me there were hot girls here
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Im still in that learning stage right now, so busy with work it sucks...but I'd like to use it to create some photo apps and newspaper apps down the road. I have a mission to fix the crapness of the journalism industry on the web.

Last edited by blinking8s (2006-09-22 06:18:37)

Name: Daniel Boyles
What brought you to Rails Forum?
Daniel Reedys HOWTO on Beginning Relationships for my collection at http://www.top-ten-tutorials.com/search/rails.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? For internal applications at my workplace.

Name:  Rob Donaldson

rdx73 wrote:

Go Cardinals!  I'm a Yankees fan, but I want that cheater Kenny Rogers to lose. smile

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Name: Kevin Holesh
What brought you to Rails Forum? The old google search.
How did you discover Rails? Saw it on a random blog post like 6 months ago.  I was so impressed, I started learning it the next day.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? To mess around with and learn how to make my own web applications and stuff (but mostly to have fun and mess around with)
What was the last thing I watched on TV? The Bears dominate the Giants.

Name: Dean Thorne (leu)
What brought you to Rails Forum? Found a link through someones blog
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails?Currently learning, but hope to re-write companies intranet in RoR

Name: Michael
What brought you to Rails Forum? Googling for specific help on RoR
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Personal projects (first one in sig, more to come hopefully)

Last edited by Vithu (2009-06-23 08:09:44)

Ahoy.

My name is will Jessup.

I run www.kevo.com and do various international consulting. I write a person blog at www.willjessup.com. My favorite language is JavaScript, but am getting more fluent with Ruby. I love networking with other designers and developers, so if you're out there and looking to meet other great people, drop me a line (AIM "xdionysisx")