Topic: Question about ActionScript 3 with buttons in Flash

Ok, got a question about AS3 syntax in use with Flash button symbols. I thought I'd take the time to complete some more of my personal site, justinbrinkerhoff.info, which I thought I would entirely in Flash, which I am second guessing myself on now, as it is seeming to be more of a pain than anything. I suppose if all else fails, I can use Flash for the menu and maybe a couple other things, script it with Rails, and automate it with AJAX.

Anyway, before I get way too ahead of myself, my question is, what is the proper way to call a button and use a Mouse Event to take the user to another frame?

I posted this question on FlashKit also, but thought I'd see if anyone on here knew at all as well. AS3 isn't too bad as its a spitting image of Java 6 SE, but its the some of the minor specifics of of AS3 that totally throws me through a loop.

Re: Question about ActionScript 3 with buttons in Flash

Well it is strange. If you try using an external .as file, then the .gotoAndStop method cannot be used with a SimpleButton, as it is not part of that class. However, solely using embedded actionscript within the timeline itself, then gotoAndStop() works fine with Simple Buttons. I have no idea why, but it works for some reason, and thats what counts I suppose wink.