Topic: Resizing images

Hello, I'm building a small app which uses the Flickr.rb library. I want to be able to compress an image before uploading it to the flickr site since the original image (from the digicam) can be a few megabytes in size. I heard about mini magick but unfortunately it doesn't work on windows. Is there any plugin/gem e.t.c I can use to scale my images to 1280 X 960 pixels before they are uploaded to flickr?
Thanks.

Re: Resizing images

have you tried Rmagick.  I seem to remember a windows installer and I have used it on windows before.

RMagick's Windows binary can be downloaded from http://rubyforge.org/projects/rmagick and does the job well.

Thanks but this RMagick is too big. I'm packaging my rails app as an executable so I'd want to reduce the size as much as possible. I heard about mini-magick but it seems that it doesn't work on windows. Any other alternatives? All I want is an image resize, nothing fancy.
Thanks.

I don't know of anything besides RMagick, not that RMagick is always great. The Windows binary only works on Ruby 1.8.2.

But why are you worried about executable size in 2006?

If you don't want to use rmagick, I think the only other option is to upload the right size file to start with.

Bah!

Well, I'm just going to upload the normal size image. I give up.