Topic: Pimp your editor

This is the thread where you give info about your favorite editors. Include useful info like price, license terms, languages supported, etc. and give a brief description. I'll start:

TextMate
Price: 39 euros (about US$50)
License: closed source
Languages supported: everything I've thrown at it (Ruby/Rails, Python, PHP, Java, XML, HTML, JS, CSS, etc.)
Description: TextMate is basically THE editor for Rails if you own a Mac. Plenty of help is available online for getting the most out of TextMate features like snippets, autocompletion, and more. It's also quite useful for other languages like PHP or Java in addition to being a great text editor for client-side duties like HTML or CSS.

Also feel free to add any comments about an editor that someone else has posted.

vinnie - rails forum admin

Re: Pimp your editor

RadRails
Price: Free (as in beer)
License: Eclipse Public License - v 1.0
Languages Supported: The standalone version is specifically tuned for Ruby and Rails, however it can be installed as an Eclipse plugin, which has other plugins for most languages.

Description: RadRails is not just an editor but a full-blown IDE.  In addition to syntax highlighting, and code templates, RadRails boasts many other helpful tools such as the Server Manager, RHTML Editor, and Database Manager.  It also has some convienient GUI interfaces for common Rails tasks like the code generators, and migrations, and testing.  Since it's builtin on Eclipse you have access to a plethora of existing plugins such as Subclipse, the Subversion client.  A source level debugger for Rails is planned for the 0.8 release.

Accolades: "Best Open Source Eclipse-based Developer Tool" - 2006

RadRails Screencasts

Crimson Editor
Price: Free
License: Good question.. free, but closed source.
Languages: everything listed here (basically everything in general)
Description: Crimson Editor is a few years old, but still a nice little program. Personally, I like that the interface is so freakin' customizable. I can make it look as bare-bones as notepad or I can display every single feature and button the thing. I can't stand busy editors, so this was the big selling point for me.

Features: multiple instances, tabbed find sorting, unlimited undo/redo, multi-file find/replace, syntax highlighting, project management, column mode editing, remote file editing, spell check, code bookmarks, ability to compare files, highlight matching pairs, user-definable macros, more stuff I'm probably forgetting.

Komodo
Price: $29.50 personal, $295 professional
License: commercial
Languages supported: Just about anything, but has specific help for Ruby/Rails, Perl, PHP, Python and Tcl
Description: Best overall feature-set I've found so far on Windows, combining good Ruby language support with stuff like window splitting (one of the key features I look for in an editor).

I did a comparison of the editors/IDEs I've used on my blog a while ago. Basically, I'm still waiting for an equivalent feature set to Zend IDE but for Ruby/Rails (and not as slow as recent versions of Zend have got). None are quite there yet.

Within minutes of my above post, Ben Kittrell promptly showed me how to split windows in RadRails (see comments of above-linked blog post). Might just give RadRails a push up to rival Komodo now for me.

I reckon I'm still pretty safe in saying none of the Ruby editors will do project-wide class/method/variable listing without opening all the files first. Feel free to prove that one wrong too though, as it's the next big miss for me smile

Also, sorry if this is hijacking the thread, lemme know and I'll start a new one.

same as thabenksta :-)

My homepage: http://www.komendera.com/
Working at: http://www.abloom.at/
My blog: soaked and soaped http://soakedandsoaped.com/

what about a nice gui app ? Some nice simple string together maps of the actions and a pop up list of common actions and mappings/. That would be a neat little pick me up for designing a basis comparred to scaffolding

Crimson Editor

Would like better ruby/rails syntax highlighting, but you can customize it if you have the time.

Tech Cheat Sheets for Ruby, Rails, and much more!

jEdit (http://jedit.org)

Licence: GNU/GPL
Languages supported: via plugins, syntax highlighting for more than 130 file types

daeltar wrote:

jEdit (http://jedit.org)

Licence: GNU/GPL
Languages supported: via plugins, syntax highlighting for more than 130 file types

I use jEdit when I'm on Windows. It's not the prettiest editor ever, or the fastest, but it has some great features and plugins (i.e. superabbrevs).

Notepad++
Price: $0
License: open source
Languages supported: everything
Description: Free Open Source text editor based off of Scintilla.

I admit a bias as I am one of its developers.

Ruby In Steel
requires Windows XP/ Visual Studio 2005

Editing/debugging/project management/IntelliSense/snippets (etc.)

Two editions:
Developer Edition is $249
Personal Edition is $0.00

best wishes

Huw

Kelli wrote:

Crimson Editor

This is my favorite Windows editor. I've been using it for years and whenever someone sees me use it they have no idea what it is. Forget buying TextPad, Crimson is free and better to boot.

Why has nobody mentioned FreeRide http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage, which is written in Ruby - or have I missed something?

devonps wrote:

Why has nobody mentioned FreeRide http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage, which is written in Ruby - or have I missed something?

I didn't like it when I tried using it under Windows, and I use TextMate for basically everything on my Mac so I don't really have a desire to switch.

By choice I use vim.  But since I'm mostly working on Windows (grrrr) then I just use SciTE.

Rored if forced to win
Vim + this + that .. smile

I recently switched to vim as well.

@Draconid & @Christoph - I got my rails env setup under cygwin.

Combine that with Console and you be close to home.

Wow, I just checked our Rored and it's pretty bad ass.  Typical IDE stuff, but designed for rails from the ground up.  It will group all opened files under the respective resource.  It has code completion, and some cool navigation features.  For example I can be in the controller and click "Open All Views" or "Open Related".  All that and it looks nice too.  Give it a try.

E Text Editor
Price: $34.95 (us) | 30-day Trial (works past 30 days during beta development)
License: Closed source
Languages supported: Any language you throw at it (of course some extending is necessary)
Description: E is a new text editor for Windows, with powerful editing features and quite a few unique abilities. It makes manipulating text fast and easy, and lets you focus on your writing by automating all the manual work. You can extend it in any language, and by supporting TextMate bundles, it allows you to tap into a huge and active community

Last edited by imakethings (2007-03-16 16:36:28)