Topic: Devloping on windows for deployment to linux server

I would like to develop my app on my windows machine, and then svn or git it to the Linux (Ubuntu) server.  Is this normal and easy?  Or do I absolutely have to install Ubuntu and develop there?

Re: Devloping on windows for deployment to linux server

It should work fine.  Just be careful with your ruby/rails/gem versions and install paths. from what ive experience, that would be your only problem.  Most of the config files have a 'shebang' (the first line that starts with a '#!') that will specify the correct paths.  These will be different if your uploading to a linux server.  Once you get past this it should be fine.  I would look into using the pugin capistrano which will automate the svn checkout and deployment of your application.

hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure you will run into troubles because of the path of files, however you can overcome that by detecting the current platform of the app with the variable RUBY_PLATFORM.

mgolds02 wrote:

It should work fine.  Just be careful with your ruby/rails/gem versions and install paths. from what ive experience, that would be your only problem.  Most of the config files have a 'shebang' (the first line that starts with a '#!') that will specify the correct paths.  These will be different if your uploading to a linux server.  Once you get past this it should be fine.  I would look into using the pugin capistrano which will automate the svn checkout and deployment of your application.

hope that helps.

Also I'm fairly sure that capistrano won't run on windoze as it uses native UNIX commands. You would need a cygwin installation to use it on Windoze I think.

Developing in Windoze is possible but kind of frustrating and fiddly. I'm not gonna say buy a Mac, but I will say that I spent more time working (and loving it) instead of getting things working since I moved to Mac, and I came from Linux, so I can imagine that gulf is even further to a Windoze box.

Good luck.

Install andLinux http://www.andlinux.org/

It's free and installs a full version of ubuntu 7.04 as a service in your windows environment.  I'm using it literally right now in Vista and have never had any dependency or gem problems or anything.  All you really need is the terminal.  I code in Intype, the files are in a shared folder on my C: drive that andLinux is actually samba-ing into for access.  Just follow the directions on the site and install the version that starts up automatically and do the minimal graphical install as like I said, you only need the terminal.

ddemchuk wrote:

It's free and installs a full version of ubuntu 7.04 as a service in your windows environment.  I'm using it literally right now in Vista and have never had any dependency or gem problems or anything.  All you really need is the terminal.  I code in Intype, the files are in a shared folder on my C: drive that andLinux is actually samba-ing into for access.  Just follow the directions on the site and install the version that starts up automatically and do the minimal graphical install as like I said, you only need the terminal.

Or you could just us Ubuntu and have a VM with windows running in it smile  My personal choice

mgolds02 wrote:
ddemchuk wrote:

Or you could just us Ubuntu and have a VM with windows running in it smile  My personal choice

Actually, the solution that the OP is looking for would require a VM running Ubuntu inside of Windows.  By using andLinux, you don't have to deal with the large amount of memory you need to set aside to ensure that the VM will run correctly.  I allocate 256MB to my andLinux install and it works perfectly.  A VM would require at least 512MB or more...

can you please post the instruction on how to install ruby on rails on andlinux

I have to develop on Windows at work, and we deploy to Ubuntu.  For the most part it's pretty painless - it's not as easy going as working at home on my Mac but it gets the job done.

I use InstantRails to develop in.  I hardly ever find myself writing explicit paths, so that's not a problem.  With the Gem dependency feature in 2.2 I can get any missing Gems just by running rake gems:install on the server, I don't freeze any.

I can't get Capistrano to work though.

I use windows at work and deploy to our ubuntu boxes using capistrano no problem.  I think the windows capistrano has its own ssh client built in.  As long as you have stuff like mysql and subversion/git in your PATH variable you should be fine.