Topic: Rails merges with Merb

For those of you living under a rock the past 24 hours that haven't heard: Rails is merging with Merb for Rails 3.0 (coming May).  Huge news for the communities of both networks, and we at Rails Forum welcome our Merby brethren with open arms. smile

For more details, check out DHH's official post here: http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2008/12/2 … to-rails-3

And also my coverage at SitePoint (where I work): http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2008/12/ … in-forces/

So, what does everyone think of this?

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Re: Rails merges with Merb

Read the news today morning and I've been emailing people left and right about it. I think it's an awesome move on the part of both communities and it's going to be a win win situation for the rest of us! I'm looking forward to all the new goodies merb is gonna bring into the framework, especially the speed that it's held in high regard for! big_smile

http://www.webyfi.com
It's not the size of the app that matters, it's how you code it. ~ railsenvy

before rails, i've been developing in a non-optionated environment for a bit more than 10 years. both non-optionated way and the optionated way has its advantages, but in my personal experience i prefer the optionated way. as far as i know, merb follows a non-optionated philosophy and the merge between rails and merb will open a window for rails to be a bit more non-optionated ...
well, probably after the merge we will have at least 2 options to choose: the traditional rails way and the new rails_merb way. well, 2 possibilities means that if one work in a company using the traditional way and then move to a company using another way then a paradigm barrier will appear ... before rails i did a lot of .NET development and i worked for a couple of different companies and each one of them using different ideas working with the same framework which is really a BAD thing imho specially for us: developers and architects ... .NET development is a nightmare and so is JAVA ... but this is not the point here.

merb is fast, light, deals better with memory and etc, but i believe the rails guys could fix it in rails without a merb merge ... but since the merge is officially anounced i truly hope and wish the best for both rails and merb communities but i wouldn't be surprised if another 'merb type' framework appears in the future and hope to rails 3.0 and up to not become a really bloated framework, the one that we developers really hate to work with. :-)

Last edited by sohdubom (2008-12-28 09:20:41)

sohdubom wrote:

rails 3.0 and up to not become a really bloated framework, the one that we developers really hate to work with. :-)

Hi, I don't think it's going to become a bloat. In fact, we can opt out of the full stack Rails(the way we run it today) to something that suits your needs. I'm gonna highlight a few of the points that DHH brought up in this post in case no one read his blog.

DHHrailsblog wrote:

*  Rails core: Yes, Rails is a full-stack framework and will remain so, but there

Last edited by RailsRocks (2008-12-28 10:43:44)

http://www.webyfi.com
It's not the size of the app that matters, it's how you code it. ~ railsenvy

So as of today i have rails 2.0.X or something and i have started developing my application using this version

In sometime merb will join in , will my app still work or will i have to change my code so that it still works with 3.0 .

I googled a little bit but didnt find any comprehensive references on 3.0

klusener wrote:

So as of today i have rails 2.0.X or something and i have started developing my application using this version

In sometime merb will join in , will my app still work or will i have to change my code so that it still works with 3.0 .

I googled a little bit but didnt find any comprehensive references on 3.0

3.0 does not exist yet. I am sure that some of your code may need to change to be compatible with the newest version of rails when it is released whenever that happens.

If you don't want to upgrade when that time comes and are happy with whatever version you are running, then don't, but it would be worth it if you can manage it. Of course you could leave existing sites on the old version and put new apps still in development onto the newer version whenever it happens. It's up to you so don't worry too much.

Thanks cherring , I guess the core team will come out with some concise document talking about things that wont work when rails 3.0 is released.

Also when 3.0 is released and you update your app, fix the stuff that breaks, also read the CHANGELOG between different versions of Rails so you get an idea of where to look.

Posts [ 8 ]

Pages 1