Topic: 'require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

When I run the "about" command or any other command in the script directory, I get the following error:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.2.2/lib/initializer.rb:259:in `require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.2.2/lib/initializer.rb:133:in `process'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.2.2/lib/initializer.rb:112:in `send'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.2.2/lib/initializer.rb:112:in `run'
        from /var/emporium/emporium/config/environment.rb:13
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.2.2/lib/commands/about.rb:1
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'
        from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
        from ./about:4

Here are my configuration details:
Operation system: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
ruby version: ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i686-linux]
gem verions: 1.3.1
The "rpm -qa" commnad on the system shows that I have openssl-0.9.7a-43.14 package on the system.

Gem list command gives the following output:
actionmailer (2.2.2)
actionpack (2.2.2)
activerecord (2.2.2)
activeresource (2.2.2)
activesupport (2.2.2)
rails (2.2.2)
rake (0.8.3)

I also tried compiling the openssl package in the ruby/ext/openssl directory by using the command "ruby extconf.rb" and got the following errors:
=== OpenSSL for Ruby configurator ===
=== Checking for system dependent stuff... ===
checking for t_open() in -lnsl... no
checking for socket() in -lsocket... no
checking for assert.h... yes
=== Checking for required stuff... ===
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
=== Checking for required stuff failed. ===
Makefile wasn't created. Fix the errors above.

So it seems it can't locate the openssl package.

I will not be able to download to this machine directly so I "apt-get" will not work for me as a solution.
Would appreciate any pointers on how to address this issue. Since I am very new to ruby, would appreicate detailed instructions.

Thanks

Last edited by rjain (2009-01-07 12:08:52)

Re: 'require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

The root cause of this problem: You need openssl-devel library.
I installed the openssl-devel-0.9.71-43.16 library on the sytem.
Here are the next steps:
1. cd /ruby_install_dir/ext/openssl
2. ruby extconf.rb
3. make
4. make install

This fixed the problem.

Last edited by rjain (2009-01-08 11:32:57)

Thanks, I had the same problem and doing that works too on openSuse 10.2

For those of us who use Ubuntu/Debian and you find that you cannot find the "/ruby_install_dir/ext/openssl" with an extconf.rb file, here is my suggestion:

> sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby1.8

Hope this helps.

--Steve

I had the same error on CentOS 5.1. '/ruby_install_dir/ext/openssl' may be better described as '/ruby_source_directory/ext/openssl' if you built ruby from source. The ext directory is stored within the source tree, not within a subdir of the final installed directory.

engest wrote:

For those of us who use Ubuntu/Debian and you find that you cannot find the "/ruby_install_dir/ext/openssl" with an extconf.rb file, here is my suggestion:

> sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby1.8

Hope this helps.

--Steve

Yes it did help - ran into this problem after upgrading from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to 8.10.

Thanks!

Jim

fantastic. I had the same issue (with trying to use capistrano on a fresh install of ubuntu karmic on a slicehost vps) and it was resolved in mere minutes by simply:
  apt-get install libopenssl-ruby1.8

thanks!

I'm running Linux Mint 8 Helena and have Ruby 1.9 with Rails 2.3.5 installed. I checked and libopenssl-ruby1.9 is installed and I still get the error when I run:
ruby script/generate scaffold Entry title:string content:text
I tried  sudo apt-get install libopenssl-ruby1.8 like suggested above but still get the same error. I did compile ruby from source and am wondering if that could be part of the problem. I'm a rails newbie and am trying to create my first rails app following the lesson in Peter Cooper's Beginning Ruby book. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This worked for me as well.

1. cd /ruby_install_dir/ext/openssl
2. ruby extconf.rb
3. make
4. make install

Might also be useful to know how to get the current ruby_install_dir in RVM:-

> echo $rvm_ruby_src_path

on Debian/Ubuntu the package it's called libssl-dev

1. aptitude install libssl-dev libopenssl-ruby1.8
  2. cd /ruby_install_dir/ext/openssl
  3. make
  4. make install