Topic: Application Error(rails) with basic install

Hey all,

I have just installed Rails on my Ubuntu Linux machine with ruby 1.8.4 and am trying to get something to work - anything at all, really - but after creating a rails app witht the rails command, everything I create returns an Application Error(Rails).  Even the 'About your application

Re: Application Error(rails) with basic install

In the rails app you created and have run, open the file '/log/production.log'.. see if there are any pointers in there..

Sounds like somethings wrong with your install.. maybe somethings missing..?

I looked through my log file - development.log, never used production - and it looks like there are two errors repeated:

Recognition failed for ""
- and -
no such file to load -- ../config/../config/routes.rb

Does this mean anything at all?

As far as my install, I believe I have everything I need.  I installed ruby via apt (Ubuntu is Debian-based) and then installed gem from source.  Everything else was installed as a gem with --include-dependencies.

This is my test server for some web development my school does, and it has been speculated for some time that is it in some way borked, so I am going to wipe it now and do a fresh install.  Maybe my problem will magically disappear.

Does your rails application have a file at config/routes.rb? That file should have been generated automatically.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I figured it out: I was running the 'server' script from within the script directory.  It needs to be run from the root of the rails application.

this should be stressed in installation instructions.  i guess most tutorials tell you to run script/server from you app dir, but the one I chose told me to do ./appdir/script/server from one dir above.  3 hours on something so stupid! 

thanks for the tip