Topic: Has anyone used hostgator for RoR yet?

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in so please feel free to move it if need be.

Currently I'm using slicehost for my site and I'm happy with the service but having to take care of the administrative end as well as the web site and the 20 bucks a month I was thinking of switching to hostgator. They are only 5 bucks a month and I have another site there but it's php not RoR and I was just wondering if anyone has tried them and if so how was it? How was the speed of the site? Currently I have an SVN repository and deploy with Capistrano via SSH. I believe I can still do it this way at Hostgator from what I've read.

Any input or alternate hosts are appreciated, I'm looking to cut costs since the site is not a revenue generator and right now any saved money is good!

thanks in advance!

D

Re: Has anyone used hostgator for RoR yet?

Find out how its running, Passenger, Mongrel? How are you running your current app? Is it on mongrel or passenger? How much memory does it use? Will HostGator be able to give you this? How many instances do you run?

As you can see there is a lot to think about and generally shared hosting isn't great for Rails, although it is better than it was due to passenger, but generally I would recommend it only for very small applications.

Also if you use a shared host be sure to freeze all your gems into vendor and rails as well to make sure you have all you need for the application to work.

I'm using 4 mongrels.
They are not using passenger (yet) they are using Mongrel.
I'm currently using a 256 slice and don't quite use it all.

Thanks for the info and help!

D

if you are using 4 mongrels then I'd say that switching to shared hosting (where you will probably have a single instance) will to very inferior performance for your spplication.

Thanks for the input!
One of the main things I liked though about shared hosting is that I could finally have email with my domain.
I'm reading up on setting up my own email server on my account at slice host.
Has anyone here done this at slicehost?

Thanks again!

D

Moving this to deployment...

Thanks, I was sure where it belonged!

D

No problem at all... good luck finding a host!

Webfaction has better support for Rails (this screencast shows how easy it is to set up Rails--you can also set up WordPress, Django, etc.), is shared hosting and costs less than half of Slicehost. Hostgator may nominally offer Rails, but for $5 a month? What do you expect to get?

I would give Webfaction a try. They offer a full refund if you ask for it within 60 days of signing up

But if you sign up for HostGator please use my referral link smile

PS. I edited the WebFaction link to add my referral url smile You can visit the site without using my referral by clicking here.

Let me know if you have any questions. Send me a PM or something, because I can give you an unbiased review of like a dozen different web hosts. I've tried them all.

Last edited by ricklee (2009-03-14 19:31:39)

Forgot to mention that if you have a VERY small site, then you can get a small slice of orange:

http://www.asmallorange.com/services/hosting/

$25/year

Thanks everyone!
I've decided to stay with slicehost and setup virtual domains and move my other sites to my slice to save money. The other sites are really not heavy traffic so there are basic html placeholders.

Thanks again!
D

well ... i think you must stick to the host who is reliable and providing you satisfactory services. Hostgator is good as well but no need to switch if slicehost is working fine with you.
https://imagicon.info/cat/1/1.gif

Even though you made your decision I figured I would post my experience for others ...

I have hosted a few RoR applications with HostGator and am still hosting some with them. I use SVN and Capistrano. It works great for basic sites that do not have huge performance limitations. Really it works fine unless you have a really high-traffic site or intensive background processes. Being a shared environment you don't have the freedom to control your environment but HG was always happy to install gems for me and usually installed them within 15 minutes of my requests. Their tech support is generally good but a little lacking when it comes to RoR. I typically had to figure out issues on my own or I figured them out before they did.

My biggest complaint was that they must run some process monitors to monitor for traffic on your site and if there is none they kill the FCGI process (your RoR process). When your site is hit for the 1st time it has to start up the process which can take anywhere from 3 - 25 seconds (based on my experience). I have a cronjob hit my site every 15 minutes but that isn't often enough to keep the process alive. For the shared environment your cronjob frequency is limited to >=15 minutes (for the same job).

If you are just getting started HG works great for a nice cheap price but if you need performance and/or flexibility then you are better off going with a VPS setup. I have been using Linode for my more important RoR applications and I love it!