Topic: Today is the day....

I've really been wanting to use TextMate and am a bit of a tinkerer to begin with, so today I am installing MacOSX 10.4.6 on my PC. This will be fun....

Wish me luck!

Caydel
p.s. Instructions are at the OS86X project if anyone is interested.

Check out my Blog.

Re: Today is the day....

Wow, I didn't even think that was possible. Good luck!

Apple would actually be able to make a noticeable dent in the OS market if they stopped trying to be a PC hardware company and switched to being a software + gadget company (more like Microsoft).  I really wish they'd do that. smile  (First step would be release OSX for PCs big_smile).

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Well, OSX is now available on x86 machines. They must have known that it was only a matter of time before some groups hacked it to run on any PC.

Actually, it seems more of a smooth marketing move by Apple. If the way of getting did not give me such an opportunity to revel in my geeky glory, I doubt I would feel any drive to get it working...

FWIW, I haven't done it yet. Probably tomorrow. I have to burn a knoppix CD, and do a major backup before I jump into the fire...

Check out my Blog.

This is where Josh and I disagree, but volumes have been written about Apple becoming a software-only company so I'm not about to add to the echo chamber smile

vinnie - rails forum admin

Haha, come to think of it, we have had this conversation before, haven't we?

I just think that until Apple makes it official, and opens up their software to PC manufacturers, they'll really never get more than 2-5% of the OS marketshare. Imagine if you could buy an OSX computer from Dell, or HP, or Sony.

The price of Macs would fall dramatically, more people would buy them, Apple's share of the OS market would rise, we'd have a real OS war that would force MS to actually start innovating, and in turn Apple would have to stay on the top of their game.  Plus, Apple would make a TON more money.

Anyway, this idea really took hold for me after reading an article by Tom Halfhill: http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/08/apples_x86_gamb.html

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Awesome, let me know how it goes.

BTW, You can get VMWare server for free now, so you could try using that first.