Topic: what is the markup language for this forum?

what is the markup language for this forum?

Re: what is the markup language for this forum?

What you mean like HTML?

bbcode. It's written at the bottom of the text area.

Ah see I might have been able to answer better had the question actually been good and not so vague.

no need to be snarky -- he answered it and other forums and other programs use the word "markup" to describe the language to do formatting.

Your right, I am snarky, and maybe there was no need for it. Maybe there was no need for you to be the millionth person requesting something with insufficient information. Who knows. Could be that I'm just an ass, I can deal with that.

cherring wrote:

Your right, I am snarky, and maybe there was no need for it. Maybe there was no need for you to be the millionth person requesting something with insufficient information. Who knows. Could be that I'm just an ass, I can deal with that.

LOL

IDK man, I think the problem is, people don't know how to ask things the right way, and they don't realize that what they are asking has no basis to it without details. In their mind, I think they assume that we are on the same train of thought as they are when they ask the question, when in reality, we're not.

I know I do it sometimes too, although, knowing where your coming from where vagueness is annoying, I do try to avoid it wink

Anyway, I know it can be annoying man, just drink a beer, and keep on kicking big_smile

Last edited by jmbrink26 (2009-04-27 02:28:34)

Maybe the forum needs something like Grey Lehey's How to get best results from the FreeBSD-questions mailing list:

6 How to submit a question

When submitting a question to FreeBSD-questions, consider the following points:

* Remember that nobody gets paid for answering a FreeBSD question. They do it of their own free will. You can influence this free will positively by submitting a well-formulated question supplying as much relevant information as possible. You can influence this free will negatively by submitting an incomplete, illegible, or rude question. It is perfectly possible to send a message to FreeBSD-questions and not get an answer even if you follow these rules. It is much more possible to not get an answer if you do not. In the rest of this document, we will look at how to get the most out of your question to FreeBSD-questions.

* Not everybody who answers FreeBSD questions reads every message: they look at the subject line and decide whether it interests them. Clearly, it is in your interest to specify a subject.

jacoulter wrote:

Maybe the forum needs something like Grey Lehey's How to get best results from the FreeBSD-questions mailing list:

6 How to submit a question

When submitting a question to FreeBSD-questions, consider the following points:

* Remember that nobody gets paid for answering a FreeBSD question. They do it of their own free will. You can influence this free will positively by submitting a well-formulated question supplying as much relevant information as possible. You can influence this free will negatively by submitting an incomplete, illegible, or rude question. It is perfectly possible to send a message to FreeBSD-questions and not get an answer even if you follow these rules. It is much more possible to not get an answer if you do not. In the rest of this document, we will look at how to get the most out of your question to FreeBSD-questions.

* Not everybody who answers FreeBSD questions reads every message: they look at the subject line and decide whether it interests them. Clearly, it is in your interest to specify a subject.

jmbrink26 wrote:

That isn't a bad idea to reiterate that. I know people don't care to look or know how to ask while on the other side it's irritating as hell when they want us to hold their hand. I am generally pretty cool, but it can get old quick when people make zero effort to try first. Overall, most of the newcomers aren't too bad. A lot of them are putting forth a valiant effort and just need a little direction, and that's cool. I have seen a couple here and there that you just want to strangle though, LOL.

I've been very impressed with the patience shown on this forum - I know I've tested it a time or two.  As I learn more about Rails (and Ruby, cause you have to know Ruby to know Rails) I'll try to do my part and shoulder some of the load.

Cheers,

Jim

To be honest, I've been absolutely blown away at the patience shown on this forum.  In three years I can only remember one instance when we had someone being a big enough troll/jerk/ass/whatever to warrant intervention from one of the admins.  Maybe it happened more than once, but only one time that was enough of an issue to leave a lasting impression.

That's pretty impressive, imho.

I guess people are really taking rule #1 to heart. wink

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Josh wrote:

I guess people are really taking rule #1 to heart. wink

Gotta love rule #1: Don't Be An Ass! LOL
Cut and dry, right to the point. That cracked me up when I read that the first time.

Posts [ 12 ]

Pages 1