Topic: Getting rid of windows - Maybe: Mac or Linux (Ubuntu, or other..) ???

Hey everyone,

I have noticed most code examples are derived from a Mac or linux box. I am a windows user, and have had several issues trying to get my development stuff to work. Overall it's all worked fine, but it seems I have to try harder to get things to work. In addition I don't really want to spend the money to buy a Mac until I can justify the expense.

Right now I'm trying to decided if I want to make a second partition on my computer and either create a MacHack, or install Ubuntu. I have used ubuntu in the past but got irritated with the amount of time it would take to do simple tasks like setup a wireless connections. I'm not sure if a MacHack on a PC would give me the results I want either. I'm trying to save cost, and would like to develop my first ROR app without purchasing a new computer. Any advice is welcome. I know most mac users love their machines, but they are expensive buggers too. I'm not sure if I would admit dislike once I spent that much money either.

Many Thanks!

Chris

Re: Getting rid of windows - Maybe: Mac or Linux (Ubuntu, or other..) ???

Heya Chris,

actually developing RoR on *nix/OS X/Windows is not that different. What might be irritating for most windows users is the high amount of CLI ( i.e. the 'cmd' tool, using windows lingo (: ) used throughout many examples and books about RoR. But IDEs like Netbeans/Eclipse etc. simplify this enormously, as you can stick to the familiar "point-and-click" behaviour of windows.

That being written, I'd suggest looking into Ubuntu again before you start trying to get a hacked up OS X version to run, as hardware compatibility is nearly total with linux nowadays, whereas for the hacked OS X version, drivers have to be hand-written, thus far less of them exist.

Also, if you'd be more specific about your problems with developing RoR on windows, we might be able to help you out, so you might wind up avoiding the dual-boot system.

Cheers
NoJ

Last edited by NoJ (2009-04-20 03:17:31)

Lead Developer of the WebNames Project and the wnrp:// protocol handler
http://we.bnam.es
wnrp://twitter.com

My dev machine is a Mac, the production server uses Debian.

I'm a Linux addict, and can't stand with Mac OS. So I would (impartially) suggest testing Linux (a Ubuntu installation is really easy).

For your development editor, you can have a lot of choice, but I really like the simplicity of Gedit.

I've just forked the Gmate plugin with and added new plugins and different config :

http://github.com/spyou/gmate/tree/master

Hope you'll like it!

My Rails development set-up is NetBean 6.5 IDE on Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop inside a VMWare virtual server on Windows Vista Home Basic.  Works great for me and (except for Vista which came pre-installed with the computer) it's all free, as in free beer.

I appreciate the response. To answer your question Noj, I don't have a particular item that is irritating, but little things like installing plugins and gems. I have downloaded the git bash tool for doing this now, but it seems more seamless on Mac's and Linux machines. This is my observation, but maybe everyone else has those little problems too. I have worked through most of them, and can work semi-uninterrupted until I find some new plugin I want to use. I have messed with Mac's before, and to me it seems like a whole series of new tasks to learn (cut, paste etc).   My post last night was on the heels of a 2 day issue trying to get "Thinking Sphinx" to work. I was so fed up, I decided it had to be easier on anything but a Windows machine.

Everyones feedback has given me more to think about, and if I don't change my machine in the near future, I definitely have plans to change down the road.

Thanks!

Chris

What's irritating about installing gems and plugins? If everything on earth was so easy, life would be really cool.

Johnson wrote:

What's irritating about installing gems and plugins? If everything on earth was so easy, life would be really cool.

Trying to work with Rails on a Windows platform is in itself frustrating - most of the tutorials, etc, are written assuming you're on a Mac or Linux platform.  And trying to install gems with native extensions on a Windows machine means either having Vi$usal $tudio installed or searching the webs for whatever .dll is required to compile them. That's why I only develop Rails on Ubuntu (albeit in a VMWare server on Windows) - because it is SO much easier.

I am running vista home 64 bit, and I struggled with wanting to get rid of it for Ubuntu only for Rails development.  I actually don't mind Vista as much as I thought I would..but for rails development, ruby or python, I just prefer linux.  So, long story short, set up Ubuntu 9.04 RC this morning using VirtualBox, which I highly recommend, start it up full screen with a gig of ram and it runs perfectly, looks like I'm in ubuntu, feels like I'm in ubuntu, but didn't have to mess with my system. 

I very much prefer to develop in linux.

Ok I didn't understand you were talking about the pain of gems on windows.