Topic: Text-based MMORPG using ROR - Anyone interested?

Hi all,

I'm attempting to begin development on a text-based MMORPG using ROR as the main programming language.  I'm posting this here to see if anyone would be interested in joining up.  Below is a link to my gamedev dot net post that has much more detail about the project.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums … _id=531895

Or if you prefer tiny-url:
http://tinyurl.com/dxpofx

Hope to hear from a few of you!  Any feedback/positive or otherwise, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Text-based MMORPG using ROR - Anyone interested?

Text-based MMORPG?

I have an interest in it, although I have to say I can't guarantee that it will be popular enough to warrant the time it takes just to type out all the text, quests, actions etc.. not to mention the coding involved!

Think of this instead..

Even the most basic of MMORPGs have some sort of graphics, even if it is only for a simple HUD. I would say if your going for it, you might as well go for a full GUI and small graphics display/world. Have you seen runescape?  www.runescape.com  That would be my basic starting point, although that is written in java.

Do you have plans to take it further than just text based? DO you plan to have in game communication, such as channels for instant messaging?

"There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't"

I'm definitely interested, but I really don't think I'll have time.

KZeeSoft wrote:

Text-based MMORPG?

I have an interest in it, although I have to say I can't guarantee that it will be popular enough to warrant the time it takes just to type out all the text, quests, actions etc.. not to mention the coding involved!

Think of this instead..

Even the most basic of MMORPGs have some sort of graphics, even if it is only for a simple HUD. I would say if your going for it, you might as well go for a full GUI and small graphics display/world. Have you seen runescape?  www.runescape.com  That would be my basic starting point, although that is written in java.

Do you have plans to take it further than just text based? DO you plan to have in game communication, such as channels for instant messaging?

Thanks for the reply.  Well when i say text based i don't just mean 100% text (i should have clarified),  It would be a point and click type game with graphics and possibly animations (in later versions).  The overall goal is something similar to outwar or mafiawars but with different technologies (and overall, much better smile )

In game communication is planned.  Probably a simple inbox at first but idea have been thrown around for a javascript based chat room(s).

If you are interested shoot me a PM or an email and we can chat further.

Kelli wrote:

I'm definitely interested, but I really don't think I'll have time.

Well thanks for the interest anyway!  If you ever have time please dont hesitate to contact me.

You could port Zork to a rails. tongue

gregf wrote:

You could port Zork to a rails. tongue

Haha.  That would be pretty neat.  I wouldn't be against using some of the idea and such, but I dont want to do an exact port.  But if you have any idea or would like to contribute as a designer (large or small) please feel free to contact me.

I'd play that. wink

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs