Topic: Thoughts on the Rails community
I have a bit of rant (and I hope this doesn't come off as whining, but):
I've been a developer for a long time. I have worked on hundreds of projects in dozens of languages/platforms, but I'm super-new to rails. I'm not claiming to be the best developer on the planet, but I'm not a newb, and I generally read and research quite a bit before I ask questions.
In light of that, I must say that the rails community is one of the least friendly, least helpful, and smug communities I've ever encountered. I have asked several questions within this forum, and have only received one response thus far. I asked what I thought was a relatively simple question yesterday in the AJAX forum (http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=29780)I got dozens of views, no responses, which is fine. However, when I asked this same question on IRC earlier today the responses were basically:
- "you don't understand the difference between client side code and server side code" (which I do, trust me on that one)
- "think before you ask stupid questions" (oops, how silly of me to ask a question in a help forum or an IRC channel)
- "look at the source code" (even after I explained I had looked at lower level functions like remote_function, url_for, etc and already knew that the reason this didn't work was that the url parameter was escaped somewhere in the chain)
- "that won't work" (even after I explained I knew the code I presented wouldn't work. I put it out there as an illustration of what I was trying to do. Obviously it doesn't work or I wouldn't be in there asking the question, would I?)
- "that's impossible" (impossible? Seriously? I've met many, many great developers over the years and the one word I've NEVER heard from ANY of them is impossible. This problem was nowhere near impossible. I already had a solution. I was just looking for something more elegant... more fitting the ruby and rails world)
At the end of the day, NO ONE answered my question! Now I realize that these are just regular folk online like myself, and no one is obligated to answer any question, and I'm not paying for support, rails is free, yadda, yadda, yadda. I get all that. But what's with all the attitude?
I remember reading Zed Shaw's rant against the rails community briefly before getting involved in rails at all and I kind of dismissed it as the work of some frustrated, angry, slightly-crazy socio-path. Well, he may or may not be any of those things, but I'm actually starting to see some of the claims he made of the community first-hand.
(And when I say community, I really mean railsforum and the rubyonrails IRC channel specifically)
In fact, the only time I really got any type of response here is on day 1 when I made the mistake of making the observation that the railsforum is written in php. I thought that was kind of ironic and funny, but apparently no one else did as it seemed to touch a couple of nerves.
I repeat again I'M NOT TRYING TO START A FLAME WAR. Please don't take this as a sign of disrespect or a form of antagonization. I'm not trying to rustle feathers... I'm just relaying some of my experiences here.
Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Last edited by skcuslleb (2009-04-24 22:49:39)