Topic: Rails as a friend for PHP prgorammers - walking in the Rails

People are tired to differentiate from rails framework and PHP. But literally, PHP is not a framework rather its a scripting language like asp or ruby, though there are specific differences between ruby and php. Few days back I felt something goog for PHP programmers, that those who are interested to work in rails framework. I figured a guidline for them that make them confident about, "Why PHP programmers should accept RAILS Framework" or something like that.
I wrote an article over this naming "walking in the rails" and just want to share the summary of that to you folks here.

Sometimes we need to decide which tool we should choose for a particular project, the key facts we need to think are as follows:
-Total size of the application: significantly the UI of the application, large application are easier in rails
-Total size of the dev team: small team can build a large project in rails
-Team Quality (Entry Barrier): Entry barrier for PHP is lower than with Rails
-Scalability: Changes are pretty cool in rails
-Expected initial traffic: High volume applications are easier in PHP

Few More Exciting Things that could let you to pick rails:
-Migration: Excellent migration capability
-Scaffolding: It is most coolest part in rails
-RESTFull Rails: It has automated RESTFull architecture with scaffolding from Rails 2.x.x
-Localization & Internalization: it has
-Helpers & Plugins: good collection of latest web technologies.

Rails includes features that help in increasing developer productivity. Some of the main features include the followings:

* MVC architecture
* Database Access Library
* Database Relationships
* Libraries for common tasks
* AJAX Library
* Convention over configuration
* Customized URL
* Lines of code
* RESTFull Rails
* Testing
* Debugging
* Components

I tried to figure out what php frameworks can not do while a ruby framework-rails can do. I turned into a wise decision finally, that

Last edited by mostanser (2009-04-26 23:57:41)

Re: Rails as a friend for PHP prgorammers - walking in the Rails

Very decent synopsis. I am both a Rails and PHP Programmer, and I think you have at least most of that right on the ball.

Now a couple points that I wasn't real sure where you were going was:

1. PHP is better for high load applications.

Now, I am going to have to disagree to a point. From my experience so far, both Rails and PHP are fully capable of handling high load applications just the same.

2. PHP is easier in "team quality".

I'm not real sure what you meant by that. Someone could be working on different aspects of a site all at the same time, and it will all come together quite nicely. And because of the high dependence of OOP in Ruby, modularization comes natural in Rails.

Hi there
Reason is not perfectly based on surveys rather its my personal opinion. So, you might have contradiction with this.. big_smile
For this opinion, I too did compare all of my done PHP projects with all of my done Rails projects. I have done high load applications using both PHP and Rails, for no reason or at a glance I felt that PHP put better performance in that case.. smile

I think I was not at good to make other to understand things big_smile, that is why you got confused in this point. Actually the sense is from the view of the quality of Team resources. Team resources with less experience and less OOP expert can easily be led in PHP related projects rather than Rails projects. Rails projects require a set of resources which must have at least perfect knowledge and experience in OOP. So, PHP framework projects are more easier for less qualified teams than Rails projects.

Thanks for sharing, hope all good.
regards

Bullshit. The problem of Rails is that it enables people to easily write unefficient code. With clever code and maximum use of caching capabilities, you can achieve very high performance.

You should rephrase this sentence to: "Entry barrier for PHP is lower than with Rails".

Scaffolding: It is most coolest part in rails
Certainly not. It's generators are cool and save a lot of typing, but scaffolding is not very cool. I never user scaffold.

Last edited by Johnson (2009-04-26 08:40:49)

Johnson wrote:

Bullshit. The problem of Rails is that it enables people to easily write unefficient code. With clever code and maximum use of caching capabilities, you can achieve very high performance.

You should rephrase this sentence to: "Entry barrier for PHP is lower than with Rails".

Scaffolding: It is most coolest part in rails
Certainly not. It's generators are cool and save a lot of typing, but scaffolding is not very cool. I never user scaffold.

My thoughts exactly. TBH the entire OP was pretty incoherent.

[quote=
Johnson]2. PHP is easier in "team quality".

Thanks for your suggestion, I did change.