Topic: checkboxes refuse to work

So the objective here was to have a user object that has a name, password, and a boolean/tinyint that lets the program know wether or not the user is an admin. 1 means they're an admin, 0 means they're not, etc. I have authorization set up and working and everything's great, but the only users I have I put into the database manually for test purposes, because the user creation scheme isn't working because the checkbox that I use to determine admin status is consistently refusing to work. I've tried the checkbox form thing, the form_for :model thing, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Nothing works. Here's what I have now:

<h2>New User</h2>
<p>Assign a name and password to the user, and specify if they are to be granted admin powers (generally only battalion staff are admins).</p>

<%= error_messages_for 'user' %>
<table>
<% form_for :user, @user, :url => { :action => "create_user" } do |u| %>
<tr><td>Username:</td><td><%= u.text_field :name %></td></tr>
<tr><td>Password:</td><td><%= u.text_field :password %></td></tr>
<tr><td>Grant admin powers? <%= u.check_box :isAdmin %></td></tr>
</table>
<br>
<input type = "submit" value = "Create New User">
<% end %>
<br><br>
<%= link_to 'Back', :action => 'users' %>

Re: checkboxes refuse to work

It looks correct to me. The only possible thing that might cause a problem is the capital letter. Generally column names and methods are all lowercase, so I recommend renaming it to "is_admin".

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

ryanb wrote:

It looks correct to me. The only possible thing that might cause a problem is the capital letter. Generally column names and methods are all lowercase, so I recommend renaming it to "is_admin".

That actually worked. If the Internet didn't separate us, I'd probably kiss you right now. This has been holding back my project for days.

Thank God for the internet then. Unless you're a girl. wink

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts