Topic: RadRails, bug or feature?

Has anyone noticed that a tab indentation turns into two spaces? For example if you indent and then want to delete the indent, you have to press backspace twice. It gets frustrating after a while.

I don't believe something so obvious could have been overlooked during development, so I'll assume it's a feature of which I don't know the purpose of. Anyways since I can't see a use for it, I was wondering where in the hell do you disable this 'feature'?

Thanks smile

Last edited by NanoStuff (2007-01-10 19:48:40)

Re: RadRails, bug or feature?

I'm at work right now so I can't tell you exactly where to disable it, but I know it's disable-able. Almost all IDEs have the option to turn tabs into spaces. A lot of dev shops have that as a requirement in their coding guidelines. It's an oldschool practice, not really relevant anymore.

It is somewhat of a convention to use double spaces in Ruby instead of tabs. I think what he's asking is if the delete key can remove two spaces (tab size) at a time when deleting. I know TextMate has this functionality, but I don't know the answer on RadRails - sorry.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

More specifically I was looking to disable the conversion to spaces from a tab indent, regardless of how it's deleted. That is, indending with tab is effectively adding two spaces, not a tab.

If someone can let me in on the secret however, I would be willing to give spaces a chance. What is the usefulness of this approach? A space indent doesn't seem to be enough to make a clear distinction between code blocks.

Last edited by NanoStuff (2007-01-11 14:06:08)

ryanb wrote:

It is somewhat of a convention to use double spaces in Ruby instead of tabs. I think what he's asking is if the delete key can remove two spaces (tab size) at a time when deleting. I know TextMate has this functionality, but I don't know the answer on RadRails - sorry.

Yes but RadRails justs uses standard Eclipse text editing tools. In Eclipse tabs to spaces is a standard option (as it also is in Visual Studio), so I'd be willing to bet RadRails did nothing special here.