Topic: How much ruby is needed to work efficiently with rails?

Hi there,
I've also just started with ruby and rails - I have done the basic tutorials for both of them, went on numerous sites to trying to find good books/tutorials/etc. I obviously don't understand much of what's going on yet, but things do seem to make sense, slowly.

My question is pretty simple: how much of the ruby programming language should I know before jumping into rails and trying to make applications? I know my question might sound vague, and the answer is probably different for everyone, but what I mean is can I learn ruby while making things with rails? Or is that a waste of time and I will just be confused a greater deal? Should I lock myself up with ruby books and study those meticulously before doing anything else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How much ruby is needed to work efficiently with rails?

I would say that you definitely need to know some Ruby to get going. However, most good Rails books will give you enough to get you started. The Ruby and Rails docs are also excellent resources. smile

Boo.

I helps a lot if you have worked with and understand another object oriented language.  Everything in ruby is an object.

norm wrote:

I helps a lot if you have worked with and understand another object oriented language.  Everything in ruby is an object.

Whilst that is true, I'm not sure that it is really that helpful to OP. Really if you want to be good at Rails, you need to be good working with Ruby, Rails is written in Ruby ...