Topic: When deploying with cap, what applies migrations?

I've finally gotten my capistrano deployment to work, or at least it seems to deploy without errors.

However, the database tables don't exist, but the system is connecting to the database.

Is there some other step that's supposed to automaticly apply migrations, etc?  Or am I missing a step in all the tutorials that has to manually run some other database task?

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Re: When deploying with cap, what applies migrations?

There's a special deployment task you need to call: I think it's deploy_with_migrations, or something like that. IIRC, the regular deploy does not automatically run the migrations.

Also, make sure the database has been created on the production server so the tables can be added.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

OK that was the missing piece.  The database/user had been created.

I'm guessing that cold_deploy runs the migrations, but since my database connection was messed up with I tried the cold_deploy (even though everything reported success) the tables never got populated... and I used deploy every time afterwards....

Sine if cold_deploy doesn't run the migrations then I would think that all the tutorials would have a step for  running the migrations...

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

I think 'cap migrate' does migrations on their own.  So 'cap deploy migrate' would run 'deploy' and 'migrate' in order.