Topic: Easy installation

One of the frustrating things to getting started with Ruby on Rails is how long it takes to get a deveopment environmetn set up.  Is there an easy/quick way (i.e. installer) to setup Ruby, Rails, Mysql, Eclipse, and Radrails on a Mac?

Re: Easy installation

I followed this tutorial and managed to get everything working on my Mac (OSX 10.4 Tiger) in about 45 minutes. Read through the steps before you do it an you should have no problems, make sure you follow the "Paths" step properly.

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/0 … ysql_tiger

Looking forward to Leopard which will automatically have Rails pre-installed. Just a few more months (hopefully). Woohoo. smile

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I'm also hopeful for a non-broken rails on leopard.  45 minutes just to set up an area to play around with rails is ridiculous.

if your just playing, locomotive, a few clicks

kenneth@pardue.com wrote:

I'm also hopeful for a non-broken rails on leopard.  45 minutes just to set up an area to play around with rails is ridiculous.

Locomotive.

And setting up a Rails environment doesn't take me that long on OS X (though I'll admit that when doing it manually a Debian-based system is fastest for me thanks to apt-getting everything). Installing DarwinPorts is the longest part of the whole thing; installing ruby, mysql, gems, etc. is pretty quick.

vinnie - rails forum admin

whether mysql installation in localhost at port 3306 necessary or whether it can be istalled at 3307 for active record to recognize