Topic: I'd appreciate your comments...

I just made a couple of posts to my blog, that you may be interested in. At least, I would be interested in your comments to the posts...

Ruby on Rails Is a Niche Technology
Applications Are Bult by Good Developers, Not Technologies

Thanks!

Caydel

Check out my Blog.

Re: I'd appreciate your comments...

On Ruby on Rails is a Niche Technology:

I agree for the most part, although arguing if everything is a niche or not really depends on your perspective and how you interpret the word. However, one thing is certain, Ruby on Rails definitely has a smaller niche than, say, Java or C/C++. In the end, everything is relative.

What I find interesting is that Rails is purposefully a niche technology. They don't try to be everything to everyone because, if they did, it would be bloated and not work nearly as well for what it does now. This topic was touched upon in both DHH's and Martin Fowler's keynotes at RailsConf.

BTW, requiring me to make a WordPress account and log-in discouraged me from posting comments directly to your blog. You may get more comments if you remove this. Hopefully you won't get excessive spam.

Last edited by ryanb (2006-07-11 11:32:02)

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

ryanb wrote:

On Ruby on Rails is a Niche Technology:
BTW, requiring me to make a WordPress account and log-in discouraged me from posting comments directly to your blog. You may get more comments if you remove this. Hopefully you want get excessive spam.

Good point, ryanb, I will change that. I only meant to have that on until I had akismet working correctly.

Good point about the purposeful niche.

Check out my Blog.

Martin Fowler talks a little more about the niche and opinionated software at his blog:

http://martinfowler.com/bliki/EnterpriseRails.html

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts