Topic: How experienced are you with Ruby?

I've only been book studying for a couple months. Just started to get really serious with it this week. I've been tackling the book "Programming Ruby, second edition".

Very novice I am. smile

How experienced are you?

http://danielfischer.com - Personal Web-Technology-Blog, Los Angeles.

Re: How experienced are you with Ruby?

I'm repeatedly amazed at how little I understand Ruby.  But I'm grateful for how much it still lets me do :-)

I'm with Danger, there's still so much I don't understand with Ruby, especially regarding metaprogramming. But I must say, answering questions on this forum has helped me learn considerably. Teaching someone else really helps you learn every detail about a problem. I encourage everyone to do the same - it's a win win situation. smile

Last edited by ryanb (2007-01-13 15:48:52)

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Amen to that Ryan :-)

I probably learned most of what I know while writing responses right here.

(edit: And by staring at Rick Olson's code for DAYS)

Last edited by danger (2007-01-13 16:31:30)

You two are the most notably knowledged on this site.

How long have you been chugging away with rails/ruby?

I'm with danger and ryan. The book 'Ruby for Rails' from David A. Black really helped me to understand and learn Ruby (comming from Java and PHP). But metaprogramming and such things are currently a no-no.

My homepage: http://www.komendera.com/
Working at: http://www.abloom.at/
My blog: soaked and soaped http://soakedandsoaped.com/

DFischer wrote:

How long have you been chugging away with rails/ruby?

A little over a year now I think (October 2005?).

Yea it's taking some time for me to grasp everything because it's basically my first language. But I really want to reach the heights of "mastering" this language and framework, so my mind is set.

I'll be up there with you guys, just you wait... a year or two... lol.

The first programming language is always the hardest to learn. There's this programming mind set you need to get into, and once you do, most languages become easier to pick up. Ruby is definitely a great language to start programming with because it welcomes good principals (OOP, test driven development, refactoring, etc.) yet you can still start simple and pick up those as you go.

Are you jumping strait into Rails or learning Ruby on its own first? The learning curve is especially steep into Rails if this is your first language.

Last edited by ryanb (2007-01-14 19:02:33)

Well, it's 80% Ruby, 20% rails. I learn mostly Ruby and then play with Rails here and there.

It was actually the other way around up until this week, I've basically decided I'm going to become "profecient" in Ruby and then try to master rails/ruby over time.

Rails is basically just Ruby, but with a web-development framework. So it makes sense to me.

And yea like you said, the biggest thing is really getting around some concepts that just aren't in the mind for any language.

For example the idea of "virtual attributes". Even though it's a simple theory, it took me a while and I still probably don't fully grasp the idea of it.

Something about not having an instance variable to the method, but still manipulating others to do a calculation for example.

Am I right? lol.

*wipes head*

It's fun stuff though, I gotta admit. I've never really tried to learn anything like this before.

I've only started learning ruby and rails in the past couple of months.  I've done some basic php stuff before but what has made the learning curve a little easier is that I studied Flash actionscripting (not a lot) which has helped grasp OOP and makes it easier to visual the instances etc because in Flash you create a symbol in the library and then drag instances of the library object on the stage so it's very visual and has definitely helped the Ruby learning curve.

As an experienced perl/php programmer I was peeked by all the hype about Ruby and Rails, especially just how quick it is to prototype stuff.

Ive been messing with it for a while posibly 6 months on and off, trouble is I don't use it daily so yet to have the intimate knowledge with it that I have with perl/php.  I have the current problem that my ideas are bigger than my knowledge (although I can't see that ever ending).  Have the Programming Ruby book and Agile Dev with Rails.

My main trouble is I get distracted by "Shiney things" and end up re-working my code a lot without progressing that much.  My otther problem is lack of time I can commit to my projects.  However I try and help out here whenever I can.

Peace
- Chris

I've been using Ruby and Rails for about two years now. Unfortunately, real life things, like a two-year old and a nine-month old, keep me from doing as much as I'd like to on this forum and in my web development career. I had just started learning Ruby when I came across Rails. I dove into Rails head-first before much was written about it. It's an excellent framework, but I think more than anything it shows the awesome power of Ruby.

I'm doing my graduate work in the Linguistics field with my area of focus being how someone learns a language and if there are certain ways that learning a formal language (such as Ruby) can assist someone learning a natural language (such as Japanese), and vise-versa. I think students learning a formal language would benefit if it was taught more like a natural language in some areas. Anyway, my research is still in the very early stages but should be fun.

Most code examples are usually pulled out of the air and not tested. Use at your own risk!

Reedy wrote:

I'm doing my graduate work in the Linguistics field with my area of focus being how someone learns a language and if there are certain ways that learning a formal language (such as Ruby) can assist someone learning a natural language (such as Japanese), and vise-versa. I think students learning a formal language would benefit if it was taught more like a natural language in some areas. Anyway, my research is still in the very early stages but should be fun.

Sounds intriguing! I am reminded of something that was mentioned in some programming book (am I being too specific? wink) that talked about how understanding programming languages came so much easier to him than understanding the English language - and understandably so. There are so many exceptions in natural languages (especially English it seems) which are not present in programming languages. Another difference: in the natural language it seems everything is relative where as in programming everything seems absolute.

danger wrote:

I'm repeatedly amazed at how little I understand Ruby.  But I'm grateful for how much it still lets me do :-)

amen!

everyday i find some cool new way to change 6 lines of code into 1. 

Quote: "Ruby is the language Buddha would have programmed in."
                                  -- Sean Russell, Author: REXML Ruby Library

--jake

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Rails Development - Agile rails consulting and development for startups on a budget
Flvorful Blog - Some ramblings
Flvorful's Open Source Projects - Some handy hacks for your rails projects.

I keep meaning to try and participate on Ruby Quiz, but I never seem to get around to it. Anyway it looks like fun and I'm sure it would help with my ruby skills.